CA legal 50DTC reloading, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Jun 3, 2010.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Anyone out there reloading for the CA legal 50DTC (Ca legal version based on 50BMG)?

I'm still gathering stuff (mostly awaiting my CH/4D dies set and the BOHICA Conversion for my AR). I have the surplus cleaned and de-primed brass, primers, powder, new bullets, reloading press with priming tool.

I have to anneal the brass (I think?), shorten its length (how much I don't know yet?), full length size it, trim it (since this first reload is for fire forming I don't have a clue as to what to trim the brass to (?) or exactly what level to load to for fire forming?).

Anyone been through this recently?

LDBennett
  2. ranger682

ranger682 New Member

Hers info from another forum. Sorry if I cannot post link.
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=215257&highlight=bohica
    Probably a limited audience for this but here goes......

I'm starting with virgin, primed .50 BMG brass. They have already been factory annealed so we can skip that step. If you are converting used brass, they must be annealed or they will split on first firing.

You'll note that .50 BMG brass are 3.900" long. We want to take off .100". Some advocate trimming to 3.75" but I have found that they are too short after fire forming when trimmed that short, at least with my rifle. Yes, they do shrink since you are creating a straight walled case from a tapered case.

I used a Giraud trimmer kindly loaned to me by a fellow CGunner. Go slow since we are removing a lot of material.

Here's what they look like after trimming.

Next step is to remove the black neck sealant from the new brass. I use a brass or stainless 20 gauge brush chucked into a power drill. About 10 seconds gets all of it out. If not removed, you will have issues with the expander ball sticking in the neck.

Check out the deals & specials in our sub-forum:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=235

$45 dealer transfers. Located in Thousand Oaks (Newbury Park), by appointment only.

www.ebrworks.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by EBR Works; 08-22-2009 at 5:42 PM.

EBR Works
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to EBR Works
    Visit EBR Works's homepage!
    Find all posts by EBR Works
    Add EBR Works to Your Contacts

#2 08-22-2009, 5:23 PM
    EBR Works
    Vendor/Retailer
    CGN Contributor Join Date: Dec 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next step is to apply a bit of lube in these areas. Inside the neck rim, outside of the neck & a little bit below the shoulder.

Now run them through your DTC die. Very minimal pressure is required.

Check out the deals & specials in our sub-forum:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=235

$45 dealer transfers. Located in Thousand Oaks (Newbury Park), by appointment only.

www.ebrworks.com

Last edited by EBR Works; 09-10-2009 at 12:23 AM.

EBR Works
    View Public Profile

#3 08-22-2009, 5:28 PM
    EBR Works
    Vendor/Retailer
    CGN Contributor Join Date: Dec 2007

Here's a before and after shot of the cases:

Now I load them up with a reduced powder charge of 220gr of H50BMG along with a Lehigh solid brass 645gr projectile. This bullet is SoCal range safe. They won't be very accurate on the first firing since the case wall is still tapered.

Once fire formed to the chamber, I trim them again so they are all the same length and load normally.

www.ebrworks.com

Last edited by EBR Works; 08-22-2009 at 6:33 PM.

EBR Works
    View Public Profile

#4 08-22-2009, 5:58 PM
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

We all have our "way" to 50DTC.

I started with 50 new CBC cases and 50 once fired Lake City Mil Surp cases. I annealed none of them and I did not loose one case (so far with 12 left to do of the LC cases). I investigated annealing and decided I risked more damage to the cases if I got the annealing wrong then if I just risked not annealing the cases. So far no problems.

I trimmed my cases using my lathe. I removed the primers with a hand tool I made and a small brass hammer. I chamfered the primer pocket edges that were crimped on the LC brass.

I learned a few thing about reloading for 50 Caliber, though.

First, a few thousandths below flush for priming doesn't hack it. The legs of the primer MUST seat in the bottom of the primer pocket and that is closer to 0.025 inches below flush.

Unless you take extreme measures, the scope will move in the mounts. I had to resort to four rings, grinding the mounts to the tube diameter with a special tool I made (35mm Millet scope tube) and grinding paste, and glueing the scope into the mounts.

Primers that catch the edge of the pocket and get slightly crumpled WILL leak and do some damage to the bolt face and make the case non-usable.

The muzzle break will clean the table along side the gun and raise dust on the ground to the sides of the gun.

Any light hammer spring will not consistently ignite the primers.

The recoil is massive but does not hurt if you take precautions like a Sorbene rubber Decelerator recoil pad and a past recoil vest.

On the shooter side of the gun stock you must wear two sets of hearing protection.

The scope can come back at you and "touch" your face if you creep up on the scope at all.

We have found even the fire forming ammo to be accurate at great distances. We are using 650 gr steel core bullets and 220 gr of H50BMG with CCI primers. Since no range around us allows 50 cal, we go out to the open desert to shoot the 50DTC with no problems yet. The cost of most 50 cal bullets is huge and we have found some cheaper alternative (new South African and some unknown ones). The premium ones are $1 to $2 EACH but the So African is only $0.45 each if you buy in bulk.

But it is all fun!

LDBennett