Cabela’s. Two Strikes

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by wingspar, Nov 30, 2009.

1. wingspar

wingspar Member

I’ve asked what people thought of ordering from Cabelas before when I decided to cancel an order for ammo that stayed on backorder for 3 months while I was able to find plenty elsewhere. Answers made me order from Cabelas again. I ordered a cleaning kit and a bottle of Hoppe’s 9, as I can’t get any around here. I was not home when the package was delivered, but the first thing I noticed was a wet spot on the shipping box. One sniff confirmed my suspicions. It was Hoppe’s 9. Inside the shipping box was a mess, but nothing but the Hoppe’s 9 and it’s immediate packaging was damaged. I sent them an email with the photos. They were very easy to deal with on canceling the ammo order. I wonder if they will for this also. I requested a replacement bottle of Hoppe’s 9.

Anyone else ever have such problems with Cabelas? This is two orders with Cabelas, and two strikes. Not sure I’ll give them a 3rd chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I refuse to buy from Cabelas and my sis~in~law works there.:eek:

I also have a tough time with Midway and CTD.

Maybe I buy too much on line?:rolleyes:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Stuff breaks.

Bought a bunch of clothes, along with a gallon of Breakfree, from Sportsmans Guide, a few years back. Got a large box, kinda stinky, with a wet stain on it. Somehow, that gallon plastic jug had gotten a hole in it. I called 'em and told 'em that everything in the box was soaked in Breakfree. They sent me a replacement order. Everything, not just the Breakfree.

I still buy from them. All the time. Stuff happens. They took care of it.

Unlike Cheaper than Dirt, who are rip-off artists.
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

I ordered some ammo from Midway the other day cause ATG was having problems with their site. The order has shipped, but I can’t get tracking for it. UPS just shows it’s been shipped. Hasn’t changed in 6 days. No idea when it will be here. Sure don’t want a box of ammo sitting on the front porch while I’m gone.
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

Cabelas was good to deal with on the phone on cancelling the ammo order, in fact excellent to deal with. The cap on the Hoppe’s 9 was very loose, allowing it to leak out. I can’t imagine the Hoppe’s factory shipping it out that way.
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, it took Cabela’s just under two hours to reply to my email. Pretty decent response time I’d say. They apologized, and will have another bottle of Hoppe’s 9 to me by December 8 at no charge. I will say their customer service has been excellent, and I’d give them 5 stars on costumer service.
  7. jondar

jondar New Member

Midway is the only one I have a problem. I took my Browning BDA in to the gunsmith to replace a broken trigger return spring. Midway jerked him around for five weeks, saying they didn't have one in stock but would in a few days. This went on and on and he finally told me to come and get the gun. Before I did I called the Browning complex over at St. Louis, they had as many as I wanted and two days later the spring was at the gunsmiths and same day my gun was fixed. I live so close to Cabela;s I don't have to order from them but do a lot of buying there. Aside from the high prices on their used guns I have no problem with them.
  8. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Hoppe's Kit from my local gun store. I think that it had oil, patches and solvent (#9).

When I opened it, the Hoppes #9 had leaked all over the bubble pack. I think the problem lies with Hoppes, not Cabelas. I have never had a problem with Cabalas that wasn't rectified immediately.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  9. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, if that is the case, then maybe some emails to Hoppe’s would be in order so they can correct the problem if it is on their end.

I’d say Cabelas rectified it immediately. I wish I could get the stuff locally, so I wouldn’t have to order it online.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Cabelas customer service is top notch in the store and though mail order. But I still refuse to buy much from them. I think the guys that work the fine gun room are a bunch of crooks. I've watched them pay or trade people for high dollar guns, feed them a line of BS of what its worth, give them 250 bucks and the next day its on the rack for 800. I know they need to make a buck but in this case there supporting the whole building though used gun sales.
  11. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

I've had that happen with UPS. Tracking site says nothing is happening, package shows up at my door, tracking STILL says its sitting in KY.

Dale
  12. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I wouldn't always blame the company you ordered it from. Because some of those people actually delivering (UPS, USPS, Fed Ex, etc) the stuff are awful rough on boxes of which they have no idea what's inside. Course cabelas and whoever else can do a better job of packing the boxes.

My best suggestion is to only order "non-breakables" through the mail. Bottles of cleaners and other liquids and whatnot should be bought at the store.

The trouble with retail and distribution is the people "behind the scenes." I work in the food distribution industry and I see it all the time. Us drivers are the "high paid face" of the company whereas the people actually loading the trucks/trailers are barely paid above minimum wage. It irritates us drivers to absolutely no end. But it is, unfortunately, actually cheaper for my warehouse to replaced damaged product than it is to pay the the employees not to damage it in the first place.

Idiots are every where. Including where you can't see them.

And just so you know, you are allowed to refuse the delivery if you think the product damaged. Just tell the driver that you don't want it. Don't open it! He'll take it back, then call the company you ordered it from and tell them what happened. This way you're guaranteed your money back.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That works great, if they knock on your door, or you are actually home when the delivery happens. Most time, for me, I'd come home to find the box on my doorstep. I went out, one morning, to leave for work, and found a box on the doorstep. Apparently the UPS guy had just left it there, the night before.
  14. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Cabela's seems a little pricey to me. I try not to order online, but have a couple times, though not from Cabela's. Ordered some ammo. Some came quickly, some I canceled because it was on backorder for two months. But the shipping is not worth it unless you order in quantity.
  15. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I've used Cabela's for ages, and found both products and service to be above reproach. I've begun placing a clothes order each autumn, picking it up at the store in Buda. I ESPECIALLY like the Cabela's Bucks program. My biggest worry is that they'll fall victum to their success, as did Eddie Bauer, and LL Bean, and become 'yuppie' stores.

Guns in the Gun Library are overpriced, but many folk don't know where to find examples such as those found there in the 'real' world, so that department serves a purpose, in that sense

As far as folk selling items at below market prices in the Gun Library, it seems counter to expect store employees to advise "You're not asking enough". If the seller is happy, then the deal should be struck. I recently purchased a K-38 Masterpiece for a very good price from an individual. Should I have said, "Hey, let me pay you more for this?" (I dont' think so!) He was happy with the price, and I was happy to pay it.

I've found several examples of handguns reasonably priced in the 'regular' Cabella gun counter. Sometimes the counter employees don't know what they are talking about, but most of us have noticed that in other firearms stores, as well.