The Firearms Forum banner

Cabelas

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
So,

My mom, My dad, and I went to Cabelas over the weekend. We went back to the firearms section and were browsing through the guns. We talked to one of the employees who notified us that they were having a 2 week sale on their AR .22's. We were talking for awhile and were going to buy one, But they sold out. So we took an ad and my dad had me call them tonight to see if they got any in. I called and asked for the firearms. They directed me and I told them about the sale and that I was in there over the weekend. I continued on and asked them if they had gotten any of the AR .22s in, to which the girl replied No. So I asked her if she knew when more were due in, She again told me no. Im not trying to be a dick, But your having a 2 week sale on your AR .22's and your selling them off as quick as you get them, and the sale is just now half way over... How do you NOT KNOW when another shipment of your AR .22's are due in? Something doesnt add up there. The girl told me that they dont know when they get the AR .22's in, they just come when they come. But, if your having a 2 week sale, and theyre selling like hot cakes, How do you NOT KNOW when your getting another shipment? I mean if you dont know, just say I dont know. I was going to ask for a manager but honestly, the way the girl was talking she made it seem like NOBODY knew and that the shipping company was pulling some houdini crap and the AR's are just going to come when they come.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've run into this same thing at Dick's Sporting Goods. Big sale on guns, sold out, are there more coming? "We don't know. The truck just shows up and we get what's in there." ???:banghead::eek:hmygosh:

#3 ·
It was really frustrating to be honest. I mean your having a 2 week sale and you dont know when your getting more in? That just doesnt make any sense. I mean if your selling them off this quick and making the money your making on them when you get them in and sell them off, Why dont you know? Wouldnt you want to make it your personal goal to know when you get them in because of all the money your making off of them?

#4 ·
See if they'll give you a rain check for the same price when they do get more in.

#5 ·
I'll have to call them again and ask. Do you think they'll do it for 2? Or do you think I'd be lucky if they gave me a raincheck for the same price for just 1? If your buying more than 1 I would imagine they would at least cut you a small deal, but thats just my thinking.

#6 ·
call them back and ask! they did for me when i bought my .22 revolver. it came in 3 wks after the sale ended and i got it at the sale price! if the store wont do it call customer service. they have always been great with me!

#8 ·
Cabelas ordering system is handled from the home office, stores can request anything that a customer places a deposit on, but the store really has no say in what home office arranges to ship them. I found this out when trying to get 45 colt ammo from one. that store hadent had any 45 colt ammo for several years..they looked it up on computer ant I paid a deposit for it...got the ammo in about 30 days..thats the lead time for that store...

#9 ·
I called them again today and pretty much went through the same thing. I called and asked for firearms, Got transferred, and again asked about the sale on the AR .22 and if they had them in yet. I was again told no. So I got alittle frustrated. I told this guy the same thing I told the girl who I talked to earlier in the week. Which was: "You've been running this sale on your AR .22's since last week, How do you NOT know when your getting more in, and for that matter how do you NOT know whats coming in on the truck in general?" And I was again told: "Well sir, They dont tell us what we're getting in, We just get it in." and thats fine and dandy, whatever floats their boat. But your having a SALE on AR .22's and your selling out as soon as you get them in. Maybe you should call corporate and ask for a bigger order load, that way you can keep more people happy instead of pissed off and aggravated like they have me. And the fact that their employees are all about as dumb as a brick and rude, Doesnt help the matter.

#11 ·
BigD16..call the order line fro0m the online website..ask to order one and have it shipped to your store..it will be placed on order and the only thing you will need to do is go do the paperwork on it when it gets in..the payment at the sale price will be done when you order it.

Problem solved!

and as i mentioned before..the sales people can ask all they want but its like you asking for them to ask...it just isnt going to happen..many times a store ia alloted a lot of sale items, based on past history, when they sell out..then as porky says...."THATS A A A ALL FOLKS!"

#14 ·
One other item you might wish to have in your knowledge base. Many (not all but many) of the larger retail stores have their product ordered and shipped to then via a centralized location so indeed, the local sales people may not know when, if, nor how many items they are to receive until they arrive. I have friends at one of the larger sporting goods chains and they have no idea of what is being shipped to them until they unpack it off the trucks and out of the cartons. Even then, there are mistakes. Not even the manager of the store is privy to the information unless they make a concerted effort to determine so they can staff up for irregular reception of product and trust me, rarely do they make that effort. Staffing has them cut to the bone!

#15 ·
WTHines nailed it there. The big stores save bundles of money, and make sure that they get first "dibs" on products, by purchasing hundreds of each model at once. That means that the individual store really doesn't have any idea what the corporation has on order, when it will arrive to the distribution warehouse, and what will come out to that particular store.
Cabelas doesn't have an internal tracking system quite as fancy as UPS.

#17 ·
Being a dealer myself, I can tell you that when my supplier is out of a product, they have no clue when they will have it back in stock again. It does you no good to even ask. If they have sent you all of their stock, they may not get any more in for another month and there is no way to tell you when or how many will be coming in. It stinks but thats how it is. I have seen them out of a product for months and then get 50 in and they sell in 20 minutes and then you wait another month.

#18 ·
That same thing happens with many stores. Think of Black Friday. When its gone its gone. Not many stores will do a rain check. I think its to get you to buy something rather or not its the sale item. Its a sales tactic. A bad one. If they dont have that ill just buy this one. Works most of the time. Yes its rude and makes me mad too. Only no one cares about that anymore. They just want to get your cash any way they can.

#19 ·
We have a big 2 day sale every august and sometimes we under estimate the demand on a certain item or firearm. We have like 30 reps on hand and we put them to work finding said product. Most of the time it works out and the customer gets their product albeit a few weeks later. There have been a few times the item just can't be found anywhere, at any price.

#20 ·
In my opinion, it's not just cabelas or dicks, it's everywhere. The young people today were brought up in public schools and taught nothing. Half of them can't read a clock, write long hand, or add three numbers. As far as careing about other people, it doesn't exist. They expect if they show up to work, they are to get insurance, days off, and a pay check. Don't expect them to do anything above and beyond, or give a crap about what you want. just my opinion mind you.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
In my opinion, it's not just cabelas or dicks, it's everywhere. The young people today were brought up in public schools and taught nothing. Half of them can't read a clock, write long hand, or add three numbers. As far as careing about other people, it doesn't exist. They expect if they show up to work, they are to get insurance, days off, and a pay check. Don't expect them to do anything above and beyond, or give a crap about what you want. just my opinion mind you.
Point taken but very generalized. Some go to work (for social reasons)

#22 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago Cabela's had the Baretta 90 on sale. I have wanted this gun for some time. The day before the sale I was in the store and talked to one sales guys. He told me to get in early as they only had 5.

The store opened at 9 am. I was there at 9:05. By the time I got to the counter it was 4 or 5 deep. They guy in front of me just bought one. . 45 min latter I was able to get help. My gun was number 4 of the 5. As I stood in line to check out I saw 2 more get sold. They had one in a box and the display model left and it wasn't 10:45 yet.

I also saw one guy buy 5 of the S&W handgun that was on sale. If you want gun that is on sale at one of these stores you need to get there the 1st day of the sale in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.