Cable lock or Trigger lock

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by John Y., Apr 20, 2005.

1. John Y.

John Y. New Member

Hi,

What method (if any) do you use to secure your firearms?

Smith & Wesson included a cable lock so I'm assuming that they are suggesting that I store the SW1911 with the magazine out, slide locked back and the cable slid through the action and down the magazine well.
    Is this good for the springs, especially if the pistol wil be in storage for a long time?

Is there another way to use a cable lock without straining the spring or am I being overly cautious?

I prefer a trigger lock as it doesn't put any strain on the components ie. locked back slide.

John
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

How long is a long time?

A cable lock shouldn't hurt, but if it concerns you, by all means go out and buy a trigger lock.
  3. John Y.

John Y. New Member

Good question.

I typically shoot once a week during the summer as I don't work. I probably shoot once or twice a month in the spring and rarely in the fall and winter.

In Canada, the pistols have to be "(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into"

There can be months that go by when I don't touch the pistol. I guess I've answered my own question because I choose to trigger lock my SW1911. However, I'm curious if locking the slide back for months can damage the spring.

John
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I prefer "cocked and locked"! :D
  5. matty

matty New Member

why not use the cable lock and let the slide go forward and pinch it? this will take alot of pressure off of the spring, and most of your cable locks have a plastic coating on them so they won't scratch anything.

this is what i used to do with my ar and sks and it never hurt them as far as i can tell.

what do you other guys think about this?
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

I bought a Smith 337 PD some years ago, and was amazed that the trigger lock, supplied by Smith and Wesson, weighed MORE than the revolver!
    My honest solution to your quandry would be to move the heck out of Canada! Texas has laws, as do many other states in the US, about the leaving about of a weapon, accessible to children, but, if the kids are brought up right (mine, both girls, have shot competitively since 8 or 9), there is never an issue with securing the weapon.
    12 or 13 years ago, a 13 year old, living up the road from me, was in his dad's garage reloading shotgun shells when three guys attempted to break into the house next door. he put three in his shotgun told them to "cease and desist", or something like that, and after a verbal assault, and them moving in on him, shot all three. One buried, one permanently maimed, all three wounded, the survivors were convicted of "Burglary of a Habitation" (Felony), and Assault (Misdemeanor). The young man was praised by the neighbors, LEO's on the scene, and his Dad. Grand Jury "No Billed" him.
    The way it's supposed to work!
    We got room, if you want to make life a LOT simpler, as long as you vote conservative. C'mon down!
    Last edited: May 2, 2005