Cajun fishing report

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by cycloneman, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have another reports to make on the oil spill. I recently looked at marsh just inside of the MS gulf coast. I met with a man there who showed me an area that had oil. It went into the marsh but did not, that’s right did not kill it. You can see the stains from the oil but the grass is alive and standing. I was amazed.

A couple of days later I made a fishing trip north of Barataira bay and headed south towards the bay which still has oil. I did not get into Barataria bay because oil clean up is going on and a large section is still boomed off. However I did make my way down one of the two major water ways into the bay. I searched the marsh off the main canal. Again you could see where an oil line was on the grass. Good news is the grass is alive and there is no oil outside of the blocked off contamination area posted by wildlife and fisheries.

The fish and crabs are fine. Like I said in one of my other reports, they know to stay away from the contaminated areas. Still don’t know what this means to the shrimp. They are a major factor in the food chain.

A word about how they are doing on the clean up: I listened to the marine radio and heard oil clean up traffic. Spotter planes are communicating with ships on the water effectively. There is no shortage of boats and workers. I must say they are doing a much more effective job of cleaning up then they were. You can tell they have it under control.

I will report on other areas as I go. Plaqumines is an area hit very hard with lots of marsh damage. I Haven’t been able to get there yet.

Here is a pic of our catch over two days.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    looks like some nice speckeled trout,enjoy them they are great eating.they were a favorrite of mine when i lived in new orleans. old semperfi
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

2 years later. Something is going on

I left out of here this past wednesday to go to Grand Isle to fish for a few days. Here is my strange finding compiled from the last 2 years.

Something i have noticed last year is worse this year.

Our shrimp are disapearing in the Barataira Bay area. Last year the diving seagulls were few this year allmost null and void. Seagulls will follow pockets of shrimp that are being hunted down by trout giving away the school's location to fisherman.

The bait houses are running short of bait shrimp (had a hard time finding them this past week) Only found them one day for a short time then sold out

Last year porpoise would take our trout as we were reeling them in. This year it is worse. It is not uncommon to hear stories of this happening. Porpoise are also taking our bait as we throw them in the water. Never in my 35 years of fishing have i seen this. Lack of bait have the porpoise going after live shrimp on a hook. That is crazy and to put in perspective that is zombie for them.

Porpoise are hungry, so are the trout,

We have other areas that still seems ok but the Barataira area concerns me. I am saying it now and one day you will hear someone at some fancy school say it too. BP and the crap they sprayed in the gulf is upsetting the balance at least in the Barataira Bay area. Of course i am just a man who enjoys fishing and can only report what I see. Nothing scientific, but i know what i know.

BP sure did dump alot of chemicals into the water to sink that oil. I am no scientist but i think the eco system is now showing signs of an unbalance.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Brother Cyclone....I feel your pain....
    Being a Caucajun-Texican and growing up on the Gulf
    my heart will ALWAYS be filled with salt water.
    I am so heartbroken to see what grown adults and leaders
    deem 'alright and just' in the way they destroy this world.
    BTW, nice catch of Black Drum and Reds
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    The fish and their foods are dying from Hydrocarbon poisoning from the dispersant used. If they had left it alone it would have broken down naturally or at least have been easier to pump up or scoop up. When they dispersed the oil they just spread it through out the whole water column making a bad situation worse. It was strictly a cosmetic fix and typical of bureaucratic fumbling. :mad: Boy did I clean up the language I was going to use.

Sometimes the bast thing to do is walk away and let mother nature do her thing.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.....
    [I heard the words you really meant to use OG] :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I live on the gulf coast and between BP and hurricanes it is not the same.It gets harder and harder to get a nice catch.I hate to think what sinking the oil does to the oyster beds which was where great speck fishing was.
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

About what I have been hearing from friends that fish the west side of the river. I hope that recent reports of damage to the plankton are wrong, if there is a huge hole in the food chain we may be seeing the start of a major decline. Remember, in Alaska the fish decline took 2-3 years to manifest and the (herring?) stocks have yet to recover.
    Why was only Coerxit used? Dozens of labs and companies were begging to have their products tried all were rejected, even the EPA approved chemical and biological/bacterial products were dismissed without trial.

Yet again the Gulf Coast is host to a manmade disaster that involves the federal government. Washington, PLEASE quit helping us!