1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cajun fried fish

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Salvage33, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Works really well with bass filets, catfish filets, but I really prefer to do this to crappie.

Take a sealable sandwich bag and liberally dose it with tobasco sauce. Drop filets in bag, seal, and work the tobasco around the filets, then remove and coat with cornmeal (pre salted and peppered) then drop in hot oil (375 degrees..not over 400 degrees) and cook til golden brown OR a fork slides through them easily.

The oil cooks off a lot of the "heat" of the tobasco, but it gives the fish a very nice "zing" and you don't have to doctor it up with pepper after cooking.

For those of you who have access to Tony Cachere's Cajun Seasoning...cook your fish just like you normally would then sprinkle liberally with the seasoning as soon as it comes out of the oil. There's enough black pepper, jalapeno salt, and cayenne in the seasoning to give you all the "zing" you want.

HINT: Cook your hush puppies and potatoes first and have them draining when you start cooking your fish.

bon appetit

John
  2. Deadeye47

Deadeye47 New Member

My coonass girlfriend frys crappie and brim with plain yellow mustard smeared on um befor flouring......try it you'll like it...I gaaarrooonnnttteeee!! :D
  3. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I have had this recipe, and I can vouch for how delicious it is.
  4. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Deadeye...never did it with fish...but have smoked several hundred pounds of brisket smeared with mustard. They are definitely yummy! I gairontee! LOL

John
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Reviving a long lost thread here; but I've got few pounds of crappie left and I want to try something new with them, so I'm open to suggestions. I usually cornmeal and fry'em; very tasty, but I'm in the mood for something different.
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Never tried it with Tabasco, but have used Louisiana Hot Sauce before and it is delicious...Now I gotta find time to go fishin..:D
  7. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

ouiiiiiiiiiiii this be sounding gud
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you are a heathen like some claim I am it also works on early spring trout and suckers that I catch in the same cold clear water. May have to try that the next time I catch bullheads or catfish. Never thought about doing ti with them. Crappies are king though followed closely by bluegill. Only difference between your cornmeal and my preferred coating is I make a beer batter with pancake flour and a bit of beer then add the Tabasco.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Been using both the LA hotsauce, and mustard, for my whole life. I didn't know there was any other way to fry fish at home. Both the hotsause, and the mustard, will give flavor to your fish, but they both help make the corn meal stick to the fish also!
  10. Little Rooster

Carver the beer batter method above is a good one add a pinch of baking powder to make it fluffy

Lately I've been using a final dip of Panco flour before frying. Coat inseasoned flour dredge in milk then the Panco.

Gonna try the mustard this weekend
  11. Little Rooster

Cooked up some catfish fillets tonight, tried some in the mustard. Could smell the mustard as I was cooking it but it sure didn't smell that way when it was done. Had a nice tangy taste to it. Not over powering. I also blackened some and broiled it then fried some for my better half. I will be eating left over fish thru the week. Served it with slaw brown rice stewed apples and corn bread...Ummmmmmmmm
  12. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

My coonass wife introduced me to a sprinkle that she uses on fried fish. I always fry the fish, she then once they are dished up puts crushed garlic and chopped parsley on top and man oh man is that good, no matter what batter you make. She showed me that right after we got married and that has been a few years, we still do it every time we fry fish. Try it on one piece some time, I will just about guarantee you will put it on all of them after you taste it.
  13. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Are these crappie big enough to cook like that?:D

[​IMG][/IMG]
  14. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Sure would like to have a mess of that size, nice catch.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Fillet them, coat them and drop them in that hot oil. Lord love a duck where were you fishing to catch those beautiful fish? Live bait or jig fishing?