The Firearms Forum banner

Caked Pyrodex. Dump it?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  armedandsafe 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I already know the answer to this question but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Got a bunch of reloading supplies from my brother in law a while back.
In the pile was a can of P Pyrodex. The old foil/paper can with rubber stopper...
There are a few clumps in the can where it's started to cake together. Most of it is still granulated though.
It's been so long since I've used Pyrodex I don't remember what it's supposed to smell like when fresh.

Is it worth messing with or should I just fertilize the lawn with it?

#2 ·
I RAN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM LAST YEAR WITH 777.I CHKED TO MAKE SURE HUMIDITY LEVEL WAS LOW AND REDUCED CLUMPS BACK TO POWDER.I LET IT DRY OUT FOR A DAY AND PUT IT BACK IN ANOTHER CONTAINER.I DO NOT HUNT WITH IT BUT,I USE IT FOR TARGET PRACTICE AND HAVE NOT HAD A FAILURE. OLD SEMPERFI

#4 ·
if you have a plastic container with a tight fitting lid , some marbles and a couple of silica gel packets dump all the powder into the plastic container

add the marbles and silica gel packets and roll in the sun back and forth gently for a hour or so

this will bring it back

the sun's gentle heat with the rolling action and the marbles will release the moisture , the silica gel will catch this and VIOLA!! dry powder ( not too much or your'll make the granules into powder )

if it is still a but clumpy remove the silica gel packs and place in the sun to dry and replace and repeat as they only absorb so much .

good luck

cheers

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the idears.
I might try to salvage it with the dessicant pack and marbles trick.

I've never been a big Pyrodex fan...I think it stinks compared to BP...so I usually stick with Goex 3F for my cap-n-ball. But for the pricetag (free), I'll use it up if I can save it.

The main reason I grabbed it is because the can is in really nice shape. It'll be one to sit on the shelf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.