cal 20 bore for steel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pierre dorais, Aug 10, 2009.

1. pierre dorais

pierre dorais New Member

i have a winchester 1400 cal 20 i want know what is the dimension for shot the steel amunition now i have.586 inches---- pierredorais@hotmail.com
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Welcome to the forum. Not quite sure what your asking. Sound like you have a winchester 1400 in 20ga. Your bore size is .586 (which is a standard bore size for 20ga.) If I'm understanding you right you want to know what size you can shoot with the new steel shot (instead of lead). 20ga is 20ga. Shot sizes are the same. Is this what you wanted to know?
  3. pierre dorais

pierre dorais New Member

i want know if for use the steel amunition if .586 is ok or if I MUST OVER SIZE MY BORE
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. pierre dorais

pierre dorais New Member

NO I WANT KNOW IF .586 IS THE GOOD BORE FOR THE STEEL AMUNITION OR IF I MUST HAVE A OVER SIZE BORE
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

what year is the gun built? older guns can't shoot steel shot. it will errode the barrel. you do not need a oversized bore to shoot steel shot, just one that is chrome lined.
  6. pierre dorais

pierre dorais New Member

[MODEL 1400 MK II SERIE N654069 BUILT BETWEEN 1969 TO 1972 ?????
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its your gun and you can do what you want but me personally I would say no to steel shot. If you don't care about scuffing and erroding your barrel then I say blaze away.
    Any reason why your wanting to shoot steel shot? Most people reserve steel shot for waterfowel b/c of regulations not personal preference. Lead is more dense then steel so it take a lot more velocity to get it to punch like lead. Many people don't like that type of abuse on there shoulders for everyday shooting.