Cal. 44-L, Spanish Garate Anituay Cia?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by buster1776, Jul 15, 2010.

1. buster1776

buster1776 New Member

I have recently aquired an Spanish Garate Anituay Cia rifle, it's lever action and like new, looks similar to an Win. 30-30. On the barrel near the breach it says it's an Cal. 44-L. I went to my favorite range, talked with the owner and he decided it took Colt 44 T shells, wrong. We tried 44 Special also, no go. Does anyone know what type of Cartridge this weapon takes? It appears to be a very fine rifle, even has a saddle ring on left side. Like I said, it's like new and the wood is soooooo fine, looks like Spanish Walnut.
    Who ever built this rifle knew what they were doing, so I would like to find some ammo for it, and anything more if anyone knows the history of these weapons? Thanks all. RamBoze
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Try 44/40.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Google El Tigre , built by Garate, Anitua y Cia ( the y Cia means 'and company' ), and as Alpo posted try 44-40. BTW , what is " Colt 44 T Shells "?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They are basically an unlicensed copy of the Model 1892 Winchester. They are not bad guns but like many Spanish guns tend to be on the soft side and probably not up to long term heavy use. But they do work and are serviceable guns.

Jim