caliber explanation

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Glockster, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Glockster

Glockster New Member

does anyone have a link that explains gun calibers in detail. also something that explains a gun license and how to get one.
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

what type of license?

there are many calibers ,are you looking for handgun,long gun?
    and what do you need to know about them?
  3. Glockster

Glockster New Member

im lookin for an explanaton of all calibers. like what a 9mm 22 40 44 45 is. i think those numbers represent how big a bullet is around. im not sure. im looking to get a small arms license for at least a 45 since i hear its one of the best and has more knock down power then a 9
  4. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

That's kind of an involved question,but get a copy of Cartridges of the World.That will give you a picture and explanation of most of the answers to the caliber question.
    Good luck with the learning,(it's more fun learning this than school stuff!)Robert
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If you mean a Pistol Permit or CCW, which means Concealed Carry Weapon, I would need to know the state in which you live. Each state has it's own requirements.

Let us know where you are.
  6. Glockster

Glockster New Member

I'm in GA. I'm sure this state has some strict laws and bans on firearms which makes me ask another question. Is there a website that has all the current state laws on firearms.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Check out http://www.packing.org . You'll have to agree to the disclaimer that comes up when you choose a state from the pull-down, then it'll take to to info on that state, as well as links to the state web sites.
  8. Glockster

Glockster New Member

good info. thank you all.
  9. Evilahole

Evilahole New Member

Hey G,
    It's a whole lot cheaper and easier than you can imagine here in Ga..
    Take your ID to the local courthouse (probate court), along with $35 or $40 bucks (if i remember correctly) and fill out some forms. This is for a background check.
    They'll send you to the sherrif's station (or the police station) to get finger printed.
    Then within a few weeks you'll either recieve the CCW permit or a letter of denial.
    Pretty painless all in all.
    Just be sure you study just WHERE you are allowd to carry...some places like bars, churches, public buildings, schools are definite no-nos.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  10. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Hey Glockster,
    Jawja ain't Joisey,Mattsetuchets,New Yawk, or Kaliforney!

Actually,Ga's laws are pretty decent,no capacity bans,as Evil noted,a fairly reasonable CCW law (for about 20 years or so),Class 3 is allowed,long deer hunting season,etc.
    So it's really not so bad,if the federal gov't would just leave us be.
    Of course we tried that a long time ago...............
    Robert.
    Oh,by the way,welcome to TFF and to GA my home state.
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

And now onto caliber....

Caliber is the diameter of the bullet.....expressed in hundreths of an inch or in millimeters.

For instance, .22 caliber is 22/100 in diameter, .45 caliber is 45/100 of an inch in diameter.

A 9mm is 9mm (.355 or 33.5/100 of an inch) in diameter.

These are nominal values and not necessarily exact. For instance, .38 caliber is actually .357 or 35.7/100 of an inch.

Caliber designations can be very confusing.....especially when you get to cartridges like .30-06, .45-70, 7.62x54, etc.......it would take me pages to explain all of this stuff.

I agree with gamachinist.....buy a copy of "Cartridges Of The World.....it's really fun to learn all of this stuff.
  12. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

in GA its a check or money order for one place and a money order for the background check
    20 and 30 or 35, I just did this a year ago (yeah just :\)
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Another GA resident here.

Real easy. DeKalb County is a little involved (have to go two different places and give money at both), but not too bad. They made me go to the courthouse to get the app, fill it out and give them money. Then I had to go to the main police station on Memorial Dr. and get fingerprinted and give THEM money.

60 days later I had my permit.
  14. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Oh, and don't forget the reciprocity agreements - I THINK GA permits are recognized in several other states. I find our laws to be decent - not to be confused with fair. Then again, fair to me is every household is issued a M60.....
  15. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

No pistols in church? That sucks. Church just wouldn't be church here in Texas without shootin' yer pistol in the air after the sermon is over.
  16. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Alabama permit restricts in bars, air terminals and public buildings, city, county, state or federal.
  17. Evilahole

Evilahole New Member

LOL...I knew there was something about Georgians I liked...:D
  18. Evilahole

Evilahole New Member

Kinda makes you wonder where the phrase "Praise the lord and pass the ammunition" came from if guns are banned from church, huh?
  19. stash247

stash247 New Member

Caliber--- It's simple. A caliber designation is related to either the bore diameter, i.e., 30.06, with a .300 inch bore, or the groove diameter, i.e. .308, with a .308 inch groove diameter. Of course, both cases use the same bullets, but that's extraneous.
    Then, we get into metric numbers, like the 7mm Mauser, and the .275 Rigby, which shoot the same cartridge, albeit differently named.
    Y'know what; It's all bullshit. Buy a copy of cotw, read it, and load for your guns. Only one you'll hurt is you. Terry
  20. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

I'm glad someone else thought reading a book was a good idea.
    'Cause it's very confusing when you have 38 S & W which isn't the same as 38 S & W Special which isn't the same as 357 S & W Magnum even though they use the same bullet diameter.......
    :D Robert.