California utility bill Rule

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Zene, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Zene

Zene New Member

California utility bill Rule - Question (updated)

Hello, i am new to the site because i got a question that needs to be answered, and i don't know exactly what forum to post this thread on, if it is the wrong one, then admins could simply move it.
    Here in california you need a valid DL and a utility bill that has been under your name for at least 3 months along with the gun purchase safety permit. Here is my question to you gun pros:

I got a utility bill under my name a week ago, will the dealer check if it's been under my name for 3 months (because this is what they ask for)? Or is it only to see my name and address?

Thanks in advance.

Answered: I finally found out what they do after calling a few random gun stores. The 3 month thing must be a stupid policy the state of CA made to irritate buyers even further. Apparently they just make a copy of the utility bill and keep it in there records.

Thank you all for replying.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Hi Zene, welcome. No they won't check how long the utility bill has been in your name. He/SHe is just looking to verify a physical address beyond your DL.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

That's a very odd question. Where are you? What do the laws say for your location?

I can only assume you are referring to a firearms purchase?
    Where I'm at, I show my DL for ID. Do you not have one?
    I can't imagine a firearms dealer accepting a utility bill as proof of anything.
    Surely you must have photo ID with all the pertinent details on it.
    If you've recently moved, you're required by law to update your ID.

Why are you in such a hurry to buy a firearm?

Get some legal ID and do it the right way.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Two forms of ID are required by many dealers if there is a change of address involved. That might be where the 3 month (90 days) might come to play. If a LEGAL alien, that 90 day rule is federal.

Why souldn't he be in a hurry to buy a gun? Is it permissible to protect yourself only after waiting a certain amount of time?

Pops
  5. Zene

Zene New Member

I am in Los Angeles, California.

You need A utility to prove that u live where your california ID (which i have) says you do, and some dealers even require a passport (which i also have).
  6. Zene

Zene New Member

Sorry delete this please.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Jeez I though I had it bad up here. I'm from Wisconsin, which can be a very liberal state if you live in the Madison area like me. Or south of the border in Illinois. But man, I couldn't imagine living in California. I can't legally get a concealed carry permit, but I am allowed to own guns. Out in California, it seems almost like they just hassle you half to death to just make it so big of a pain in the behind, that you just decide it's not worth the effort to exercise your Constitutional rights to own a firearm.

I don't know why a normal valid driver's license wouldn't be good enough. They do a background check at the Federal and state level. Maybe they're worried someone will use a fake ID to buy a firearm. Then again, I'll bet gun dealers can spot a fake ID better than 99% of bartenders. And I'll also bet that if any of them assume you're using a fake ID, they'll just not sell the gun to the person.

It is California after all, you know. Out there, oh no! God forbid anybody own a gun! (Rolls eyes). Thank liberals for all the jumping through hoops. All the red tape doesn't do anything useful in my opinion. They should just have a background check. Do like in my state - you wait two days. And then if your record comes up without any red flags, you walk out with your piece.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    No, they won't. Let's face it, here in CA, we must have some of the strongest gun control of all 50 states. They want to sell you a gun, you want to buy it. They must comply with the law that asks to see something that shows you at your address. It doesn't have to be a utility, but it should not be a letter. That's all they need to see. Ain't living "paradise" just wonderful? TJ
  9. Zene

Zene New Member

This quote here cant be anymore truthful.
    I think this is what there goal is to be honest.

@teejay- I called a few random gun stores, they said all they do is photo copy it and keep it for records. So your right. Thanks.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Zene.
    Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

It just sounded so bizarre to me.:confused:

My apology and good luck.
  11. Zene

Zene New Member

Its cool man.
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Zene. What you have in Calif is what that crowd in D.C. has in mind for the rest of the country if they can't just out right disarm us all. This is pretty much what you have to do to access any govt. benefits.

Need to know, what is that on your avatar. Looks like BBQ beef on a kaiser roll and would you look at the Tomatoes and lettuce.. Got onions? Makes me hungry just to look at it.

Welcome to TFF.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  13. Zene

Zene New Member

That is sad.

Oh I made this burger for my culinary portfolio.It is grounded Tenderloin, which i then grilled, and yes It is a kaiser roll which i actually baked myself as well. You know your breads! ha-ha, and Yes it actually does have purple onions.

Thanks!
  14. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Yeah, I see the onions. Had a good crop of Texas 1015s. Some survived to grace HBs but most have been sacrificed as Onion Rings. So sweet. Poppy seeds?
  15. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I live in California and I don't remember having to present two forms of ID for a firearm purchase. However, my last purchase was in 2008 so perhaps the law has changed.

I don't see it as any big deal though. Take in your CDL and a utility bill, car registration, etc., and you're good to go.

I do know that in order to get a CCW in my county, you have to prove that you've been a resident here for at least two years. I suppose that's to prevent residents from a non-friendly firearms county to get a permit here and take it back home with them. In California, the issuance of CCW's is under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff but they're valid state wide. That's why the rate of issuance varies so greatly from county to county, i.e., San Francisco zero permits (almost) to some of our northern and eastern counties which are very firearm friendly.

Most of California is pretty conservative. It's just the big voting blocks in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc., that are very liberal and unfortunately control the vote for the state.

John
  16. steve666

steve666 New Member

[​IMG]. Don't know about the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Here in Indiana all we need is our Driver's License/ID, though it doesn't hurt to have your LTCH (Carry Permit) also.
  17. Zene

Zene New Member

That sounds good...
    They're actually sesame, but i drizzled with tarragon oil and roasted them.

@ bubble- i think the law is only going to get more strict over time.

@steve- im thinking of going for that permit in the future.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  18. jspence

jspence New Member

RE: Kalifornia Gun Laws Please note - the CA legislature is/has been controlled by DEMOCRATS for as long as I can remember. The CA legislature has a 17% favorable rating.

The districts are set up to PROTECT incumbents. The public employee unions vote consistently for the DEMs. Their salary and benefits are fabulous. A prison guard can make $250,000 a year with overtime.

Our two US senators are BOXER and FEINSTEIN - that should tell you something.

In the coming election, I predict that fewer than 5 seats will change hands. The firearms laws will only get worse.

Gun clubs and gun groups in CA are useless. In CA the NRA collects dues and does NOTHING.

So now you know why CA gun laws are so bad ...
    jspence
  19. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Zene, I live north of you in Bakersfield. When ever I purchase a handgun all I provide is my handgun safety certifiacte, drivers license and my vehicle registration (address verification). Anyhow, like others have said there are multiple forms of secondary identification that the gun stores will accept.
  20. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I agree with you 100%. I seriously believe that they are really trying to keep the ethnic population of CA from getting guns. Fine by me, but that population, by all stats, don't get their guns legitimately, so the laws only work on the law abiding citizens. Also, we have a chance to get rid of Boxer this November. Let's do so. TJ