Calipers? Dial or digital and why

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gibill, Aug 20, 2012.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I go dial. Dont have much use for the digital. Yes digital is faster to read, but i have been known to miss read them at such a fast glance, that i have scraped parts at work.:eek: Made wrong adjustments with the CNC mills because i read the digital to fast. I will stick to the dial you have to take that few Sec. to read them. Less mistakes in the reloading world as well. Safty first!
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Either is a fully acceptable tool more than capable of achieving the level of accuracy reloading needs....which honestly isn't that much for most of us.

I am very satisfied with my $12 Harbor Freight digitals and my very affordable battmanaz batteries for it (an e-bay vendor) just an example - 10 batteries for $2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-CR2032...t=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item4ab152a62f

My tired old eyeballs appreciate the digital readout and for my needs it ain't rocket surgery. lol
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I'll stay with the dial version. Used them, or verniers, for forty years with out complaints, but I got some cutting oil on a set of digitals and that was it for them. Yes, I know they make them better now.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I like the digital. I'm too damn old to have to think so I just look at the screen and know the measurement right away .
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

It all boils down to personal preference. I have been using precision measuring tools for 50 years and I like to SEE the measurement on a dial rather than trust some seemingly random numbers pop up on a display. Plus there are no batteries to die and leak all over the battery compartment...:cool:
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

same here!

I do have a dial, and a straight rule.. but the digital wins for ease of use and tired eyes!
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

dial gives me a better visual when I'm checking a large batch of case OAL or whatnot; so dial only for me although for working on Toyota's, I plan on getting a metric digital to try out. But I do like not worrying about batteries...
  8. soundguy

i keep a dial in the house as a backup to the digital.. but I got a spare battery in a sealed blister pack too. as much power as they use.. I bet it goes a couple years before an issue..
  9. gdmoody

Ya'll are too worried about the batteries dying. How much trouble is it to throw another battery in it? Price of batteries is so cheap if you buy them on eBay, about a dime each!!
  10. soundguy

.. they make ammo out of explosive powder and primers.. and changing the caliper battery is an issue..

:)

I love it.. :) ;)

I'm cynical too.. :)
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Y'all are aware, aren't you, that when digital measuring tools start to die - the charge gets almost to the "too low to work" point - they start to lie?
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I'm not too worried, mine doesn't take batteries. :D How about the time when you are using them and discover you need a new battery and you used the spare and don't have another. Now you have to stop and make a trip to the store. doesn't happen with the dial caliper.
  13. soundguy

that's why prudence dictates that when you use your spare.. you order another.

in the mean time.. the dial caliper can be used. :)
  14. gdmoody

I keep two batteries in the case with the caliper and I have a supply of them in the house so I don't worry about it, even a tiny bit.
  15. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And , occasionally, I get out my slide rule,......just to........