call for Camel culls in Australia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this news items quotes 1-2 Million camels

this is for one state

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/australian-news/6744565/calls-for-widespread-camel-culls/

Cattle station owners whose properties have been overrun by feral camels say widespread aerial culling is the only way to bring the pests under control.

Public submissions on a draft national action plan to deal with the feral camel population closed on the weekend.

Estimates of the camel population range between 1 and 2 million, with current numbers expected to double within 10 years.

Northern Territory station owner Lindy Severin says she has no doubt a large-scale camel meat industry is viable in the long term.

But she says culling is the only way to bring the feral population under control in the meantime.

"The only way that that can be done is by widespread culling," she said.

"The most efficient way of doing that is from the air because we don't have highways through these areas, we don't have even roads or tracks in a lot of the areas where it has to be done."

cheers

jack
  2. navis128

navis128 New Member

Dude, you guys got screwed with the non-indigenous species too.

We got pithons in the Everglades now...so I hear, I'm not going to go look...
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yep but theres a bright side though

here we could get a lot of folks employed knocking off the camels

i've put in a submission and have room for a few folks from the US if we get the ok , but it'll be serious hard work with long days.. but the side bennies should be cool , knocking round the outback with guns in choppers ;) and a few beers when the day is done, town on sunday, back to work monday..

hard life but a good one.

how many want a job chasing them snakes?? i'll pass, snake chasin in swamps? too much like the bad old days..

cheers eh

jack
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. navis128

navis128 New Member

You might want to think about "unforseen circumstances" to the employment statement.

I guess it is a job and not so much an adventure.

Well the bright side is at least they don't multiply quite as fast as those rats and jackrabbits.:D
  5. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Jack, you make it sound about one step away from Paradise. Been a long time since I was in the wilderness. And the Australian outback? (drooling) Where do I sign? Yes, I would love to see Australia again.:D Wish my finances were better.
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Sign me up. Here are my credentials:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cuban invaders.
  7. red14

red14 Active Member

I hope those were self defense.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Gotta get approved on the submission first maybe a few months if PETA dont block it like they did the last one..

to add

the process is as follows

1 you would need 3 references 2 from LEO's that are currently employed as such
    one from a arms /shooting instructor who knows you
    2 pass a pre employment check( criminal history etc)
    3 pass a 457 Visa check ( temp employment in OZ )

the above will be needed before you come over
    below is once you get here

4 have a return ticket to where you came from
    5 complete a PAYE ( Pay as you earn) Taxation form 7
    6 do a 2 day OHS ( occupatuional health safety) course here before you start
    7 if doing any driving , you'll need to do the safe driving course for off road.
    8 sign the various declarations , be fitted for safety gear and pass the final OHS inspection wearing all your gear

you can keep all your gear when finished, minus the rifle .

weapons will be provided to avoid import issues and will be advised at the time i am hopeing to get military riofles for this via a purpose lease and service agreement but will not apply until we have a contract

I am not spending big money unless we get a contract

the team will be 10 persons

1 chopper pilot and spotter who will act as medic as well

any med issues the spotters chopper will be medevac and we shut down until they are back on station

2 chopper pilots and two airbourne shooters
    2 drivers and 2 vehicle based shooters

if we get the contact we'll also have a couple of blokes from a pet food mob collecting the easy to get at carcases and we will share any and all income in equal shares after taxes have been paid ( the bonus)

thats how i ran it last time and dont see any reason to vary what works

hope that helps

cheers

jack

and yes there will be insurance and med cover it the law here
  9. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Anyone thinking camels will make a meat source hasn't eaten camel !!

Trust me, it smells as bad on the plate as it does on the hoof ! >MW
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I have eaten it and unless really well done , it does smell as many game animals do, but we'll be getting the PET FOOD blokes to collect the ones they can, and we'll be eating beef or lamb or the odd 'roo steak if so inclined ( i know i will) , and i'm partial to Pork Roasts as well so if we can get some farm pork that will be on the menu too but up north wild pork is NOT on the men due to parasites.

Buff meat too is riddled with parasites great horns and plenty of meat for the PET FOOD market, but i dont recomend for humans..

Crikey, where did i say where we eating the stuff?

Dianne ( the cook if it happens ) wont touch camel Buff wild porkers or anything not 110% legit, even the roo meat has to be from a approved supplier with her..

and if anyone does come over, dont tick off the cook, or its sweet breads for breakfast the next day, most lekely your own ;)
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Suwannee Tim,

no shooting lizards or snakes here please

some idiot went and made em all protected, snakes if they attack can be shot , but i'd hide them pics if you come over eh

animal liberation and PETA are rife here.. no need to give em ammo to sink us with

but nice shooting all the same, what range??

cheers

jack
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

Jack did you ever see that large marsupial predator in Australia? Sorry, the name excapes me.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Thylacine ?? thought to be extinct Tasmanian Tiger is another name

saw tracks in a cave but they could have been a few hundred years old

those caves where way out back in the middle of tassy

some around when settlers arrived but they shot them out i think the last known one died in a zoo about the turn of the century buti've a mate who live in a remote area there and he swears he saw one one morning sizing up his rabbits thought it was a fox until he realised it was twice the size and had stripes, he\s good with a story but will admit to stories when asked, swears he aint joking about that so dunno

tassie devil is the last well known predator thats a marsupial

Quite a few critters before white folks got here though sabre tooth marsupial cat, a rhino looking critter but meat eating teeth etc

a few others but never seen any alive besides the devils

cheers

jack
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Camel hunting sounds like fun.
    I'd fly halfway around the planet to "smoke" a camel...:)
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wouldn't just be one though

need about 180-240 a day between us if i want the contract renewed

i put in for 3 seasons (about 80 days a year) with options for another 2 if needed, but its performance based and annual they can sack us at the end of any year or if they have complaints

looking at 6000 minimum per season to keep the gov happy and 1-2000 of those to go to the pet food folks to ensure the bonus is ok

a good bonus will almost double the wages

its work trust me , you'll be sick of it when its done

day light til a hour or so before dark 6 days a week

Sunday's the Lords Day

i don't work Sunday work nor does any crew i am in charge of.

i tend to head to town for services but folks are free to do what they wish
    I have my beleif and respects others choices.

every month or so we have a town day where we head to the big towns where theres picture shows etc shops and the like , some folks play tourist some just hit the pub. I do a bit of both but generally get caught up with paperwork etc

if all goes well there'd be between 15 and 20 teams like above working different area's in the territory and even that wont really start to make a dent until the third year, if theres the budget and they dont listen to the PETA folks thers a life times work avaialabe by my reckoning even at that rate..

cheers

jack
  16. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'd seriously apply for this if I weren't so driven to finish my education. Six months or more for that.
  17. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

If this were in Texas or Arizona, I'd sign up in a heartbeat! I think I could enjoy getting out from behind a desk and a computer for a while. I especially wouldn't mind being outdoors with a rifle and get paid to do it.
  18. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Sort of like feral hogs in TX a big menace.