call me SCROOGE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Texman, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Texman

Texman New Member

OK, call me the Grinch or Scrooge,, but what in the world is up with the durn Christmas adds showing up on TV and in print before Thanksgiving? Good grief,, :mad:, the jewelry stores here are the worst,, the 3 major chains are flooding the airways with Christmas commercials all day long ... of course the big box stores and online stores are also guilty...

The retail industry must really be suffering this year to start this early.
  2. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

You can lump me in this category also. The jewelery stores feel justified, because it'll take from here to Christmas to pay for one of their bargain basement pieces of scrap metal. I was out late last night, running over to the middle of The Peoples Republic of Illinois to help a buddy get a truck home he bought on eBay, and when we got back to his house a guy about a block away from him must've had 50 Christmas light strings burning, decoration his entire house and lawn. I wanted to go over and beat on his door and choke him with one of his own cords. Wait until December.
  3. Any year now, I expect the stores to start putting up their Xmas decorations right after the July 4th holiday. :(
  4. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

You're just trying to ddepress me, aren't you.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Having Christmas ads going up this early, has been going on for a few years, for "some" companies. I make sure that I do NOT do business with any store that does this.
  6. That's the best way to get the message across, Pick. I tend to do the same thing. I despise all the misleading marketing techniques used this time of year.
  7. cec

cec New Member

When my wife was working retail she would come home during October sick and tired of the Christmas music being piped in.

Most places are now getting the decorations up around October 1st. I went to Home Depot around then, all the lawn mowers were gone, in their place was the lawn decorations, trees, lights, etc.

And now for the Geek Check - Why do geeks give Christmas presents on Halloween?

Answer to follow in a few posts.
  8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

It is also the highest prices of the season! Have you noticed the last few years the HUGE sales they start when it is about a week from Christmas? I know the crowds are unbelievable that time of year! But if a person can waite till the day after....evan more deals to be had as the stores don't want to carry inventory into the new year. Best reguards, Kirk
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Yeah, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, all had Christmas stuff up before Halloween. It is disgusting. I would boycott them if I didn't have to go there 3 times a week.:(

Except for the niece's & Jessie, we decided to give presents that are consumable, like wine , food, etc. There is so little in the world that we need, it makes no sense to go out & buy "presents" just for the sake of the Holiday. Nice gift bags of gourmet or homemade food, specialty wines or beer are just as good as a breadmaker you might use once ( unless you really needed a breadmaker ).

Don't forget to drop a bag of groceries off at your local Food Bank. Lots of poor folk out there will appreciate a few days food, more than a Britney Spears CD.
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Your so right Bruce I was planning on buying two cases of potted meat this month just to give away ;):D
  11. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Blame women. They now do Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving, and if they're like the women in my family, before Halloween.

I did half of mine already. "I am woman, hear me roar..."
  12. Ursus

Ursus New Member

You think that's early? A supermarket here starts Xmas ads... IN AUGUST!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  13. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i dunno what it is about putting out all the christmas stuff so early.... :mad: i cant stand it!

we're giving our kids money this yr. james has no clue as to what he wants & ashley wants camera equiptment that she doesnt trust us to buy... so $$ seems like a good solution to the problem.:D we'll just take them shopping after christmas & let em get some good deals.;)

we give my parents 1/2 a hog every yr & they'll get that again this yr. the only gift i need to go buy is for my bratty niece. i still have no clue as to what we'll get her.:rolleyes: hmmmm maybe i should email my sister & see what she wants/needs.
  14. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

Why not just leave them up the whole year.
  15. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Merry Thanksgivoween

Attached Files: