The Firearms Forum banner

Call or not to call

987 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sandman 
#1 ·
I was goose hunting today and had a small flock locked up.I was taught to call as the birds were coming in to keep their attention.A fellow hunting [who I had not hunted with for awhile]jumped all over me because he was taught that once you get their attention stop calling and if they are going to come they will do so.I would like to hear some of your opinions

#2 ·
In my opinion, don't hunt with A holes that know eveything (or think they do). I have hunted with those who would honk until the shooting starts, and those who would not. If your calling sounds like an elk in a bear trap, then don't call. One suggestion is the feeding moan, a soft arnng arrnng arrrnng arrnnng when they are real close. Next non hunting day, go to a local field with geese in it and watch and listen as others come and go. Then do what the they did.

#3 ·
I have a Glynn Scobey call thats all I use it for is the moan. I have been in the fields in hunting season and let the geese land just to listen to them Some geese are very vocal and others never made a sound.I just wanted to here some reasons why some hunters call and others do not.

#4 ·
For hunting over water, I generally dont really call as they are feet down, and comin hot. They seem to get plenty close without making much noise... But when we hunt ground blinds in hay fields... The geese seem to really like the super cluck, or a constant, quick series of moans. And as with any calling. A clean, simple moan, or feed call is way better than trying to hail birds when it sounds like.. An elk in a bear trap! Very true!

But the most important aspect to calling fowl... youve already observed. Some are real social butterflys, and some are as quiet as can be. Just like people, it prolly depends on their current mood, as to which type of call/s and spread they find most attractive.

But to answer your question finally... It all depends on how you learned, and what you feel confident in. Thats why some guys call til the birds are down, and some quit as soon as birds look comitted. Its definetly something I go over with guys that have never hunted with me before. It helps to avoid someone lookin like an A hole... Usually! ;)

#5 ·
Do whatever works for you. I usually do not call once they have locked up and committed, but sometimes when they are skittish, that is what they want. You have to play it by ear and do what the ducks want that day. Sometimes you will need to keep calling, sometimes you will be better off being quiet, and sometimes it won't matter either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.