The Firearms Forum banner

Calling all CZ-52 owners

19K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Tackleberry 
#1 ·
I have a friend that works for a shop making Tok and Mok aftermarket parts. I have been trying to get him to start making threaded barrels for the CZ-52. He has informed me that the owner of the shop will entertain the idea of putting in the R&D to making these barrels, but would need a group buy of 50 people or more to do it. I have been guaranteed that the barrels would be made from high grade durable materials and would certainly outlast the poor grade threaded barrels that federal arms did a run of several years back. If you're interested please let me know.

To the mods, if this has been posted in the wrong forum or a post like this should be discussed with forum management prior, please let me know and accept my apology in advance.

#2 ·
a few years back there was a company that made threaded barrels for the mak. they had their records taken by the batf and the list of all who bought them became a issue. seems someone was killed with a mak with a threaded barrel this was a investigation as to who bought these things. you want big brother knowing your business ?

#3 ·
Was not aware of that. I was just attempting to get enough people together that own these guns to make it worth the time for my friends shop to make a run of threaded barrels. I also know that many people who own a CZ have been looking for the elusive threaded barrels.

#8 ·
Graph-X: I have found that the threaded barrels from Federal arms out of Korea were actually the same level of quality as the originals in terms of hardness, rifling, and accuracy. The one problem with the barrels (if you want to call it a problem) was that they had slightly tighter-than-average fit tolerance, and so they are initially a snug fit inside the slide. This issue became a problem because the rollers which were included with the barrels were average quality and probably even a little softer than the original Czech ones. So ultimately, if you didn't smith the barrel trunnion a little bit with some minor filing, the rollers had a potential to lose their round because the fit was so tight they were being squeezed very tightly back & forth. Of course anybody who's serious with a CZ52 will have the hardened rollers from Harrington products anyway. I purchased the last threaded 7.62x25 CZ52 barrel which came up for sale on ********* last year, and I found that after 20 minutes of TLC on the barrel trunnion with a couple needle files, I was able to reach a nice normal fit akin to what the original fit was like, and then of course I had the hardened rollers also. This gun also got a Duracoat SL treatment last month on all the internal and frame inners & outers and it is slick functioning with this newer Self-Lubricating type finish. This is one of the reasons I love the CZ52 so much, it is a nice project gun and requires some TLC to make it your own perfect little blaster. Personally, I love the new threaded barrel idea. The maker could easily sell 50 to 100 of them on the online auction sites and forums like this over the course of a year, for at least $75 a piece. I don't think the BATF would bother much, their attention to items like this is extremely inconsistent and specific motive-driven. Sort of like the 20rd durms for Saiga-12 shotguns and all the mods available for them and other AK's and AR's right now, nobody bothers them. Or how about the gadgety Taurus "Judge" .410 shotgun "pistol", no bother there either. If somebody shoots a celebrity with a threaded barrel CZ52.... then there would be a problem of course.

Glad to join this forum. I am into CZ52's and I also have one of the world's best ongoing collections of pistol-caliber armor piercing cartridges. I have written a book on this topic, and I love teaching people about the history of this extremely misunderstood topic (cop killers never killed a single cop :eek: , etc...)

#9 ·

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks Pawn, I actually bought those same walnut grips last year, they are great!

2 other great sources for CZ52 parts:

http://www.surplusfirearms.com/cz52.htm

and

http://www.buymilsurp.com/pistol-parts-accessories-cz-52-pistol-c-3546_54.html

and of course the online auction sites. Right now I wish I had some of the hard-to-find MJ facets extended floorplates for the CZ52 mags so I didn't have to mod the ones made for the Tokarev mags that are sold on buymilsurp's site. But they will work too with a notch cut in them.

#11 ·
7.62 x 25 TOK is pretty tough to beat.... ~ 10 cents per round for mil-surp. One would be hard pressed to find a better value in a centerfire pistol round. :)

#12 ·
went into a local store just window shopping saw 10 boxes of 7.62x25 sitting on a rack, asked the owner how much he said he's be happy to get rid of them for 5 bucks a box. this was polish surplus 72 rounds per box. being in love with my tokarev m57 i couldn't pass this deal up. 720 rounds for 50 bucks plus tax :D

#14 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of my CZ52 with threaded 7.62x25 barrel from F.A.C.. I love it, but the darn thing is 12x1 metric thread with RH twist, which nothing on this planet other than the original cheap clunky muzzle brakes from F.A.C. will fit (impossible to find these days anyway). The FN P90 uses a metric 12x1 thread, but it is LH instead of RH. Thus I crave a threaded 7.62x25 CZ52 barrel with something like a 1/2x28 AR15 type thread.

Other mods I have done to my CZ52 include:

--Harrington hardened competition firing pin
--Harrington hardened rollers
--Harrington hardened extractor
--Best tension old/new stock springs I could find
--Wolf brand 16.5lb recoil spring
--Wolf brand +power magazine springs
--F.A.C. threaded 7.62x25 barrel
--Duracoated the entire gun and internals with Duracoat S.L. (parker gray color)
--Fingerrest extended floorplates on mags (modified from custom Tokarev type)
--Painted SiteGlo dots on rear & front sites
--Re-painted safety-off red dot with brighter red nailpolish
--New knurled walnut grips from "Parts4U" guy on G.B.

I've got 150rds of various ammo through it and I'm happy to report it works great with solid accuracy and function. The F.A.C. barrel has been just fine, though at first I did have to file down the rear trunion block a tiny bit to get it to slide properly, and the rollers are fine of course, being the hardened ones. New ammo I have used includes Winchester metric, S&B, Prvi, and Wolf, and even some aftermarket "Incendiary" blue-tip ammo from the Ammotogo guy online - all works great. The Duracoat has held up fine, except for the backs of the magazines due to the hard scraping of the magazine catch when inserting or ejecting. I have now stripped the backs of the mags of Duracoat and just go with straight oil on them. I used Hoppes regular gun oil on the entire gun internals, etc since the underlying surface is Duracoat S.L. and it is slick to begin with.

#16 ·
F.A.C is a company i'd be abit careful dealing with. the atf asked for and received without question and without any wait or leagal action taken a list of all their customers that had bought threaded barrels for makarov's. why the gov't wanted this information is still unknown but it doesn't speak well for FAC or at least in my opinion.

#17 ·
I have heard about the whole threaded-barrel makarov thing, and apparently there was a high-profile shooting involved where a threaded-barrel mak had been used in the crime??? Ah well, F.A.C. like most contentious things of this nature (Intratec, KTW, Black-Rhino ammo, etc..) is out of business, so no worries here. I bought the barrel new at auction on GB last year from somebody. I would imagine that F.A.C. bent to the whim of the ATF so easily at the time because the ATF might have had their "you know whats" in a vice over procedural laws and importation laws which they might've been able to throw at them. F.A.C. was allot like C.A.I. in terms of slightly questionable bookkeeping and barely legal going-ons....

#18 ·
ah so thats why fac turned over ? i didnt know. and i didnt know they went out of business either. i had no desire to find out and look for their web site. with big brother watching i didnt want to end up on yet another list. being labelled a extremist raceist, gun toting radical . or maybe it's to late :p

#19 ·
WOW that's a pretty 52! I didn't think such a thing was possible. I will be on the lookout at Wanenmacher's for grips and a mag/mag extension like that.

I'll have to talk to my certified-gun-nut friend about cleaning-up my 52 to that level.

So, does the day-glo paint on the sights work well? I thought about tritium sights, but they're mucho dinero.

Lastly, is the Polish ammo the hotter, 1600fps stuff, or is there something else I should be on the lookout for?

#22 ·
Holy wow, I totally spaced on this post. My friend no longer works for the previous shop. Went on to bigger and better things he told me. However, before he left, he made me a nice slide catch and firing pin for my CZ. CZLuvr, that is a beautiful sight to behold. Kudos on finding the threaded barrel.

#23 ·
i bought my cz 52 in 92 and bought a stainless ported longer barrel in the late 90's federal firearms made in korea seems to work fine. have not shot alot but so far so good. they are no longer in business it seems. i made my own slide release from a small set screw,works great. anybody else make barrels ? you can keep the threads, the muzzle ports are nice and it makes the gun look even better. i sanded and painted the stock grips high gloss black.my gun was made in 54 and rebuilt in 76 all serial numbers match.just broke the firing pin,getting the cz 52-1 pin from harrington, my trigger pull is fine. great little gun and i bought lots of norinco and selair & ballot ammo in the 90's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.