Can a 1911 design last as long as a Sig P220?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by glocknut, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

In my own personal opinion, if I understood the original question correctly, if you are gonna shoot ALOT , the 1911 would be the way to go. Like it was stated earlier if a part wears out or breaks you just simply replace it and carry on. If you aren't going to shoot 20,000 plus rounds thru it, and use it for daily carry, and don't put it in 800 degree ovens, the Glock is as good as it gets. I traded my Kimber because it was a target gun, and I already had a 1911, and I wanted something that was easier to carry and conceal. So I traded my $200 Kimber for a Taurus Millennium PT 111 in 9mm for me and a Kel-Tec P-32 for the wife. My Firestorm sits on the table by the bed, and the Millennium goes with me. The Millennium is not a target pistol so it doesn't shoot 2" groups like the Kimber did, and it is DAO. It's a heavy DAO but it's a defensive weapon, not a target/defensive pistol like the Kimber. Will the Millennium stay together after 20,000 + rounds? Damifino, but I won't be shooting it that much either. So again in my own humble opinion, if you're gonna shoot a bunch get a Kimber or similar 1911. If you're gonna carry concealed and for defensive purposes, get something small and light ( read Glock, Millennium series, Kahr, Kel-Tec ).
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Thanks Glock,

Was curious to hear what you might of heard. It's been my experience that preventive maintenance costs a fraction of any other maintenance. I try to stay ahead if I can.

Glocks are without a doubt built to last. I used to be very oppossed to any polymer or plastic on a firearm until I entered the military and realized pretty quick that every weapon we used had some type of polymer. The only exceptions to this day I know of is our M14's we recieved last summer for sharpshooters/counter-snipers and of course the M9 which is basically an aluminum pistol with hard plastic grips.

I got off on a bad start with Glocks. When I was a teen, our community shooting range was also where most of the local police came to practice and fire reloading drills and such. It was back when the entire American police force went wild over 9mm, 17 rd mags, and lightweight polymer duty guns, which all spells Glock.
    Well, I was on that range one day when a cop fired a set and shoved his Glock into a holster without pulling his finger free of the guard, which killed an innocent patch of grass. I decided right then that the Glock was not dummy proof enough for me. I'm all for a manual safety on a reciever. And yeah, I know that no safety in the world can replace proper training.

On weapon jams, I gotta say the great equalizer is sand. I never seen any weapon system of any style that can stay up 100% in an enduring sand storm. Not even a $125,000 chain gun. But that's just one of them nightmares things to avoid anyways.
  3. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Here ya go Glocknut...enjoy.

Gunguy

From Midway:

Lone Wolf Utimate Glock Maintenance Pack with CD-ROM and Armorer's Tool
    An essential CD for any Glock enthusiast. It covers all aspects of the Glock pistol - disassembly, assembly, repair and maintenance with special sections covering troubleshooting and actual tips from the masters themselves. To be used with Windows 2000, XP or NT. Version 1.0. The Ultimate Armorer's Tool is the size of fountain pen yet contains virtually all the tools required to service the Glock including a 3/32" pin punch for removing all Glock pins, a small flat head screwdriver for connector removal, a nut driver for installation and removal of aftermarket front sights and a small nylon parts brush for easy clean up.

Lone Wolf Ultimate Glock Maintenance Pack with CD-ROM "Glock Repair and Maintenance Version 1.0" and Lone Wolf Ultimate Armorer's Tool for Glock Pistols
    Product #: 132403
    Our Price: $33.98 Sale!
    Compare at: $46.99 (You Save $13.01!)
    More Books & Videos...
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Gunguy...

I am scared to death of doing any work on my firearms. Small springs can travel a long way!!:(

mike
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

lol ,i think most have been there done that

a 18# recoil spring in a 1911 can shoot pretty dang far if it slips away from ya
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

In my .44 apc pistol (model 1911 own invention) I think the double recoil spring was a 22 pounder...took a man and a boy to pull the slide open.

I put the gun back in its original .45 acp mode with a single 16 pound recoil spring...smooth as glass to pull open.

Gunguy

Attached Files:

7. elber

elber New Member

How about the cleanup?

Not to change the subject, but....

How does the cleanup compare between the 1911 and the P220?

-elber
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

The 220 strips faster - but other than that I'm not sure that there is a difference....

One point, for group training purposes, the 220 design is pretty cool - you can thumb down the slide release, slip the slide and barrel off and then "point" your frame around a classroom for various demonstrations and veiwing angles. This is handy and not nearly as unsafe looking as demonstrating with a fully assembled gun. Just a point, can't do that as spiffy with a 1911.
  9. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

Two others that you should consider are the Dan Wessons and the SiG GSR. Supposedly the GSRs have shipped to the distributors. And the Dan Wessons I've shot have been, well, fantastic. I was shooting a Patriot the other day and it was good enouogh to make me consider getting a Bottom Feeder.;) ;)

45ACP. Way to good a round to waste in a Bottom Feeder.
  10. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Mike, I'm really sorry you had a bad, or several, bad experiences with Colt. There was a time in the '80's when US auto workers were leaving soda cans in doors... manure happens, and I don't know your story.

My first Colt was a 40S&W Double Eagle 4" barrel. Lots and lots of metal. Very little recoil. Shot a thousand rounds through it, learned all about the, it didn't fit my general collecting pattern, and I sold it for the Para single stack I pick up tomorrow (just moving on to another gun; nothing personal about the D.E.).

I next bought the Colt 01091, and there were some machining issues I didn't like. I sent it back before firing it, and they made it more than right. A longtime local firearms instructor claims he never felt a sweeter trigger on a Colt. So I guess you can tell I like Colts. I like the way they are put together. There's only one original.

And the LDA Para Ordnance single stack? I think it was designed by angels. It just floats in my hand.

I have not shot the Glocks; I don't care for the styling, but plenty of LEO's trust their lives to Glocks every day, so I have nothing bad to say about them.

P.S. About going 20K+ rounds? I have several guns with over 2K rounds which still look NIB. It will take a few years before I get up to those numbers, but I'd suspect with regular cleaning of the bore and associated parts, wear should be minimal. If a component is going to break, it should fail within the first few hundred rounds. By 300-1000, I'd expect any gun to be 100%.

An exception is my Inox Tomcat. It was 97% for the first 200-250 or so, and it's been 100% since (700+/-).

I hear of guns being 100% out of the box, but I cannot believe it would be consistantly so for each product issued.

Even a Mercedes has a "break-in" period.
  11. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

i have now shot over 300 rounds through my new para ordnance P18.38S limited without a hitch:D