Can a black powder pistol be a self defense weapon?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by WilkieWashington, Jul 2, 2009.

1. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Those pistols are still considered black powder, and no permit is required to buy the conversion cylinder. They work quite well, too, provided they index properly with the frame.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Pine, I don't think you answered his question. You notice, poor feller is from New York City. I betcha that, iffen he was to put a conversion cylinder in his 1858 Remington, NYPD would bust him for violating the Sullivan Act.

'Course, they might do that anyway, just for the 1858 Remington.

But, while the revolver is "not a gun" by Federal law, and can be shipped through the mail, and the conversion kit is "parts", again by Federal law, and again can be shipped through the mail, I'm pretty sure that if you put the one into the other, it then becomes a gun. Kinda like an auto-sear is a part, and an AR15 is a gun, but you put the one in the other and it magically becomes a machine gun.
  3. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Can't add much more to that. ;)
  4. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

yes and yes
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

According to all this...guess it'll kill someone. ;)
  6. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack New Member

Colt Walker can be loaded with 60gr black powder and has the same force as a 357 magnum.
  7. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Got an old Handguns magazine, Feb '98, with an article written by Ed Sanow. He chronographed the round ball from an 1860 Colt at 935 fps - penetrated 19.8 inches of gelatin, recovered diameter 0.48 inches, stretch cavity 38.8 cubic inches.

Those numbers are comparable to some 9mm and .357 hollowpoints.

When he tried .44 conicals, he got lower muzzle velocities and deeper penetration... in his words, "the round ball turned this energy into tissue damage and massive disruption. The conical bullets turned the same energy into extremely deep penetration."
  8. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I like shooting the ROA and the Walker and the 58'. Bear in mind that the round ball was not the bullet used during the war or by many civilans. The conical bullet was loaded in paper Ctgs. This adds much more real power to the BP handgun. Would I carry a BP handgun for personal protection, not likely. The life and death choice of the modern world dictate a more even balance of power. The chances of an attack from a .36 Navy weilding mad man are not too likely. You may however be faced with a high Cap .40 Cal. Keeping even with weapons technology is not a bad idea.

RC
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jack, are you from Georgia?
  10. PRNY

PRNY New Member

It is illegal to ship a cap and ball revolver to NYC.
  11. BlackPowderSmoke

BlackPowderSmoke New Member

I am new here. I am a web developer with a passion for blackpowder firearms. I found this site via a Google search on blackpowder revolvers for defense.

I believe any blackpowder firearm is sufficient for defense purposes if the person is highly proficient at getting the best out of their weapons. Simply put, when your guns misfire every once in a while it is best to rely on some other form of protection until you become skilled and proficient to the point that your weapons never misfire. Your weapons should perform under any conditions.

I use my Uberti 1861 New Army 44's for defense. I take extra care in loading and maintaining them so I have a high degree of confidence in their reliability. Simply put, they don't misfire. They did at first, as I was learning what I needed to know to achieve confidence and proficiency. My beginner's headaches were improper fitted hands and improperly adjusted mainsprings. After I moved past those problems, I had success with my revolvers.

I even went as far as dropping one into a bucket of water and after 10 minutes removed it and fired of all six shots without a misfire. I knew the revolver would fire properly, never doubted it.

In order to keep the summer humidity from fouling the powder charge, I had took extra precautions. I didn't pinch oversized caps onto the nipples. The caps fitted properly and were sealed with clear fingernail polish and the balls were sealed with a thin layer of Crisco, not gooped. I used a Q-tip to apply just enough Crisco to form a seal between the ball and chamber walls.

I personally feel that if a person is having misfires, then he or she should take a look at their skill at maintaining and loading the weapon, their personal knowledge and skill instead of blaming these fine weapons of old.

I know blackpowder has its limitations as I have expressed in this article:Black powder revolvers for defense Keep in mind that this article is on a site set up for the newcomer to the black powder scene and I am not exactly a black powder veteran myself.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011