Can a Pres be charged...

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by navis128, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

As Commander in Chief not listening to his subordinates isn't a crime. He has the final say. Scary thought huh?
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Clinton was impeached.
    Where did that get us?:rolleyes:

If I were convicted of perjury, I'd be in prison.
    Bill went home, got a quicky, and had a Cuban cigar.:mad:

It takes sack to step down.
    Nixon had the nut to do it. But he was a Republican.
    Billy boy thumbed his fat nose at the process and went back to being more descreet.

Impeachment?
    What's that?:rolleyes:
  3. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Carter never made Captain. He was discharged a Lieutenant.

He will always, always hold, in my heat, the title of Ugliest Ex-President for ever more.

This was a self-serving position held by Clinton's lawyers, it was never affirmed by any court. There is not constitutional or statuatory reason that a President could not be indicted, tried and convicted of a crime and even imprisoned.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. belercous

belercous Former Guest

"Carter must be elated that he won’t have to go through eternity as the most incompetent U.S. President ever."

I bet he's tickled. If I were him, my best friend would be G.W.B.

Actually, according to the concensus of historians, Carter ranks 25/42 while G.W.B. ranks 36/42. Polls of the general public are erratic & inconsistent. Polls of historians are quite (but not totally) consistent.
    Interestingly, Nixon ranks pretty low on all polls. I actually thought he was a good president. A horrible person, abusive of his powers, and an all-around evil person to be sure. He just got caught doing the same type of things his predecessors did. And then got caught lying about it. But all that aside, I believe he did a lot of good for the country. If you look at his record (of bills signed into law), he signed more "liberal" legislation than any of his successors. Can't tell about Obama, too soon. But I'll predict that he will be ranked as one of our better presidents by historians.
  5. Archie

Archie Member

Under the Constitutional statutes, a President may be impeached and upon conviction, removed from office only for '...high crimes and misdemeanors...' Such impeachment must be instigated by the House of Representatives and the finding of fact or trial is performed in the Senate.

So, two questions arise: Has the President committed an act amounting to a '... high crime or misdemeanor...'? Is bad judgment (no doubt in my mind) a crime? Or is he merely exercising his Presidential prerogative as Commander in Chief? Lord help us, the President gets to be wrong at times. I would not have it every President be held criminally responsible for any and all breaches of perfect judgment.

The second question is: Will the Congress act if they perceive a 'high crime or misdemeanor'? As noted by others, probably not.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I implore you all to write and call your Congressperson, both Representative and Senator; direct them to send more troops to General McCrystal. Direct them to oppose Socialized Health Care and Cap and Tax (and tax and tax and tax...). Send money to the NRA, the SAF and/or whatever national 'gun lobby' you like. When a politician calls for your support, tell them where you sent your political money and to apply to them for support.

If you know of a PAC against Socialized Healthcare, you might send them money as well. What ever you can afford.

Then, next year, vote for anyone who opposed Socialized Medicine, was for sending more troops to Afghanistan or is pro-gun. We the people have to get Congress back under Conservative control (that seems to be Republican, but there are conservative Democrats) soonest and the White House in 2012. Anything else is national suicide.

Let us not waste time and energy fighting shadows. We have real problems to address now.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

High cimes and misdemeanors.
    Nice to know a crime committed by the pres can be over looked but the avereage Joe goes to prison.

http://www.constitution.org/cmt/high_crimes.htm