Can anybody ID this?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by reedjh77, Apr 9, 2012.

1. reedjh77

reedjh77 New Member

No clue who makes it. The only thing I know is it has a "W" on one side of the handle and a "S" on the other. I believe its chambered in .22 short. Any help would be grateful.

Attached Files:

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

None of the screws or the cylinder aren't real it might be a starter gun.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

4. reedjh77

reedjh77 New Member

i bilieve thats the same gun, i thought it was a starter gun to but when my dad looked at it he said that starter guns barrel isnt all the way through.
  5. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

You have a cast iron Kenton .22 blank gun from 1930s-40s.

Unless someone has altered it, you should only be able to chamber .22 Short blanks, with no bullet, and the remainder of the bore should be smaller.

As kids we used to roll BBs down the barrel and shoot them, sometimes breaking the frame. :eek:
  6. reedjh77

reedjh77 New Member

Thank you for the information. And just one more question, What is the current value of the gun?
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

They're still fairly common and seem to sell for $30-$40. There's one on an auction now with minimum bid of $50 that's had no bids.
  8. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

It's the largest of the 3 sizes of Kenton blank pistols. When I was a kid in the 1930s the smell one cost 25 cents, the mid size 35 and this one 50 cents, sold a the hardware store. That was a time when teachers and policemen made $60-100 a month.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those guns are like the Floberts, the only thing holding the breech closed is the mass of the hammer and the spring. Believe it or not, a blank does have enough pressure to blow itself back out of the chamber if the breech is not held shut some way.

Should someone alter the gun to fire live ammo, he would probably get the empty case in the eye even if the gun did not blow up in his hand.

Jim
  10. Fullstock

Fullstock New Member

It looks like a cap gun.
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

of these blank pistols were sold out of he Johnson Smith catalog by mail order. As a kid I used to take one to school and shot it off on the school playground and nobody objected.
  12. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Ref my entry #8 above, this one is the largest of the three sizes that were sold.