Can anyone help identify this older rifle for me?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Lesage72, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Lesage72

Lesage72 New Member

Don't really know anything about this rifle, has some Chinese writing I think.

Attached Files:

2. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

That is a Japanese Arisaka. Don't know more than that, but I'm sure there are a lot of guys on here that do.
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Having the "mum" intact on the receiver of that Arisaka makes it more valuable. Most were ground off after the war as it represents the Emperor.
  4. sc0tchmax113

sc0tchmax113 New Member

Nice find, although ammo is kinda hard to come by these days..
  5. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Ditto that...
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Anyone know how old it is or what's it worth?
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

It is an ArisakaType 99 chambered in 7.7Jap. Looks like it is complete with the dust cover (+), aircraft sight fold outs on the rear sight (+), Mum (+). Missing the monopod (-) and I don't think the sling is original. If you can get a clear picture of the markings on the left side rail of the receiver, we might be able to get you a better date and which arsenal made it.
    Looks to be in pretty good shape, so I would put it somewhere in the $300-400 range. (These are getting harder to find)
  8. Lesage72

Lesage72 New Member

It says 17315 with an egg shape horizontal and an egg shape vertical in the middle of the horizontal egg
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I suggest using some oil to stop the rust.

The sling is not original and as deadin says, the monopod is missing, but it looks to be in excellent condition and I think it would bring at least $100 more than the value he mentions. Ammunition is available, though expensive. There is no surplus ammunition as there is for some other WWII calibers.

Jim
  10. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

AsJim said, oil it to stop the rust. Otherwise looks to be in pretty good shape. Please take a picgture of the markings on the receiver opposite the bolt. If your floor tiles are 12", your gun appears to be the short rifle--long rifles are 50 plus inches long and are rare. Check that the numbers are matching--even the dust shroud will have a number on it. With matching numbers, an intact mum, and in the condition it is in, I'd put the value at $400-$450. FYI--the stocks on many of these guns were cut so they would fit in a duffle bag--the cut would be hidden underneath the barrel band that has the front sling swivel.