The Firearms Forum banner

Can anyone identify these rifles?

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bindernut 
#1 ·
I inherited these two rifles through my father, who got them from his father with no real explanation as to what they are or where they are from. I don't think the stocks are original, and as far as brand markings, I can't make anything of them. But I'm no expert, after all.

I'm fairly certain that they are at least WWII or further back, and the insignia on the black one reminds me of Mussolini's symbol of fascist Italy, but I haven't been able to find anything online through research by myself.

Can anyone help me identify these? I would like to get the registered, but honestly, I have no idea how to label them.

The wood-stocked one says:
"Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori", with what looks like a date under it, but its now blocked by a hole that was from scope mounts that were on the gun when I got it. There are also little crown symbols with a capital C.

The black one just has that symbol, with Z6704, and what looks like Cal. 7.52

I don't really have much else to say, I've taken them apart but there isn't really much else on there.
Can anyone help me out? Any information would be awesome!

Thank you! Cody S.

PS, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'm new to this site!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TFF.

You came to the right place for all your firearm questions. About all I can tell you is that they both have been sporterized. The real gurus will be by shortly.

#3 ·
That sword over the funky axe, pic #2, is Spanish. 1916 Spanish Mauser, and was originally 7x57 Mauser, but as can be seen in the 4th pic, it's marked 762, so it's been rechambered to 7.62 NATO. That pebble-finish plastic stock is a replacement.

That other'n - Carl Gustav. That's Swedish. I think it's a 96 Mauser. It also is not in the original stock. The step-down on the barrel, in the first pic, shows that it's a military gun. Pic #5 sure looks like there used to be a scope mount there. Probably when it was put in that fancy wood stock.

My best guess is 6.5 x 56 Swedish Mauser, but that's a guess. I don't see any caliber markings, in the pix, like would be there if it was rechambered, so it's most likely the original military caliber.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#6 ·
No problem with the nitpick. As I typed, I was concentrating on, "Is is 6mm, or 6.5mm?" I don't have one, so was running on memory.

Yes, boys and girls, there's finally a gun that Alpo ain't got. :confused:

:p

#8 ·
Yup. those two have been ID'd correctly as a Spanish 1916 Short rifle and the second one is either a '96 or a '96/38 Swedish Mauser (I can't tell without knowing the barrel length).

The Spaniard is pretty much as issued except the original stock as been replaced with that aftermarket plastic stock.
As stamped on the left side of the receiver, it is one of those that was rebored and rechambered to 7.62x51 NATO.
Even though the 7.62x51 is dimensionally identical to the .308 Winchester, there is a lot of info out on the net about not firing commercial .308 in a 7.62x51 rifle...especially a 100 year old rifle that was originally designed for a lower pressure cartridge (the 7x57).

The Swede has had the original rear sight removed...and I'll guess that the front sight is missing as well.
If the barrel is around 29" long then it's a model 96, if 24" it's a 96/38. But...I suspect it's a 96 that has had the barrel shortened to something more suitable for a hunting rifle (like 22" or 24").
Someone did a very nice job of modifying the bolt handle for scope clearance. The handle would have originally been straight.
I don't recognize the lines of the stock, but it sure looks like one of the many "drop-in" stocks that were available for sporterizing surplus rifles over the years. It might've been someones personal project and the stock was whittled out from a blank by a gunsmith. Either way, it is a very nice looking stock on that rifle.
Going by the 405XX serial number, it should be a 1907 rifle by my serial number lists. The bolt is not the original one though, as the 395 stamped on it's pieces should be the last 3 digits of the full serial number on the receiver. The bolt swap might have been done at a factory arsenal when it was still in military service or it could have been swapped when the fellow that sporterized it put the parts together.
The 6.5x55 is a fine hunting cartridge and the Swedes have always been know to be a good accurate rifle unless the barrel is completely rotted out inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.