Can anyone identify this antique rimfire rifle?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bobwrc, May 13, 2012.

1. Bobwrc

Bobwrc Former Guest

Can anyone identify this rifle?
    It is a single shot, rolling block, rimfire, that is over 100 years old, I think.
    It belonged to my Dad, who was an avid small bore rifleman who competed Nationally, back in the late 30's & up till WWII.
    I have had it tucked away for many years, and it is in the same condition now that it was back in the early 1940s.
    The bore is about 8.5 mm. or .335", and it is definitely a rimfire. the barrel is 18-3/4", and the rifle is 35" in length overall. the stock is wood, either walnut or Maple, I think.
    There are no visible stamped letters or numbers on the gun, but I have never taken it apart to see if there are any internally.
    The bore is bright, and rust free.
    I've never made a serious effort to find out what this rifle is, but those who I have asked; have never been able to identify it, and the books that I have looked at pertaining to antique firearms have never shown anything like it.
    If anyone does know what this rifle is, or knows of someone who might know;
    I'd sure appreciate any info that you can provide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's not a rolling block but it is a parlor rifle.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Beats me, but .35 caliber would be pretty big for a parlor rifle; they usually run 4-6mm.

Bobwrc, can you tell what the conical thing is on the top tang. Is it a base for some kind of tang sight or could it be for some other purpose?

Jim
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Are there any stamped markings anywhere on rifle? Trigger guard? Butt plate? Anything at all may help identify it.
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this may be a Flobert from Belgium - it is very much like one of the old 32 rimfire designs they had (Maynard also had one similar). There should be a stamp on the underside of the barrel and it could be very worn so I suggest going over every metal surface with a magnifying glass to look for stamped markings.
  6. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

how do you load it? is that a trap door type, single shot? is the barrel round, hex, or is it flat on top? cant really tell
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. Bobwrc

Bobwrc Former Guest

I don't know the purpose of the conical post with a hole & set screw, that is just behind the hammer, but thought that it might be for some sort of accessory sighting device.
    I have looked real close for any stamped or engraved numbers, wording, etc., on the exterior surfaces, and there are none to be seen.
    I have never taken the rifle apart, but it would seem logical to me that any identifying markings would be far more likely, on the outside.
    It is a single shot and regarding loading; it appears that a cartridge was just inserted manually and then the swing type bolt/block with the firing pin is rotated 90 degrees, to the closed position (seen in the first two photos).
    The hammer has to be cocked manually.
  8. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Looks like the base for a tang sight behind the breech. Wonder what served as extractor?
  9. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

hold and shake method. been around for ages. saying goes, ''if you shake it more than twice, you playing with it.'' :D
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Proof marks are often hidden or in unusual places.
  11. Bobwrc

Bobwrc Former Guest

I have looked again, using bright lights, and a magnifier, and there are no visible markings, (letters - numbers - insignia - logos) on any of the exterior components of this rifle.

Regarding the extractor; there is one.
    When the rolling block is swung open, 90 degrees to the left, as shown in the photographs; and the hammer is manually cocked, there is an internal extension type arm on it that has a small lip, or ridge, that moves rearward pulling the shell casing out, by its rim flange.
    This rifle appears to be very well made. There are no cheap stamped or crudely machined parts visible.