1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Can anyone recommend a Dremel alternative?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, Dec 2, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm looking for a good quality rotary tool like a Dremel. What I'm reading in customer reviews at various retail sites is that Dremel is not what it used to be and leaves a lot to be desired for precision work. Wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative?
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

Being a tool and die/mold maker for over 18 years, I made use of these products and was very pleased with them. They are commercial tools, and will exceed the price points of Dremel tools. If you have a decent air compressor available, I'll send you a rotary tool to try. It develops no-load of 60,000 rpm. You gotta send it back, though.... :)

http://www.foredom.net/

http://www.coopertools.com/catalog/pdffiles/SP-170_EN.pdf

Page 42 of this pdf file... http://www.dme.net/wwwdme/DME_D_catalog_2008 copy/Equipment & Supplies/ES 19-56.pdf
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I can't think of any. I had a Ryobi and a Black and Decker and both of them sucked. The Ryobi was under powered and the BD variable speed was so flaky I didn't trust it. Also Dremel tools are way easier to get. Some of the other makers only take certain bits made specifically for them. Everyone make bits for dremel. Don't go cordless if thats what your thinking. No one makes one worth a darn.
    Jay's idea is great. Foredom's rock.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have a dremel that is about 5 or 8 years old and it's been aight. it dont see much use though.
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I gave up on Dremel years ago after I blew the "bearings" in my third one.
    The main problem is they just aren't sturdy enough for much more than aluminum. (If even that.)
    Air tool or Fordom are the way to go. (Be prepared for sticker shock with Fordom, but you get what you pay for.)
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks Jay. That Foredom jewelers kit looks like it might suit my purposes, although a bit more money than I wanted to pay. I saved the link and just may spring for one after the first of the year.

Unfortunately I don't have a compressor...no room in rental unit. Have you ever heard of Proxxon? It's a German made tool someone was raving about in a negative review he made about Dremel.
  7. Rneck

Rneck New Member

craftsman, when it wears out take it back and get a new one, however I've been using the same one for 10 years and it is still going after heavy use
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

craftsmans warranty does not cover electric tools or air tools. only tools like screw drivers ratchets hand saws sockets and wrenches
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Dremel but I am considered dangerous if around guns with it.
  10. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

11. Jay

Jay New Member

No sir, I've not heard of Proxxon. If you're gonna do serious work with pencil-type handpieces, Foredom is among the toughest out there. The price reflects that, but I'd bet against you wearing it out.

Regards, Jay
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Chinese made flexible shaft machines very similar to Foredoms are available from Harbor Freight for $45.00. I use them in my shop.
    Dremels are still good tools. People simply don't know how to use them. They force the tool into the work. You should let the tool DO the work. Some people can't seem to grasp this fact, and they ruin delicate tools.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  13. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Roto-Zip is larger than a Dremel but it has many accessories and will last. I've had mine for 20+ yrs. and it's still going strong.
  14. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I use a foredom flex shaft and at the end of the shaft is a small drill chuck. They are not cheap but last forever.
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thank you all. It sounds like Foredom is the way to go. I just don't know that I want to spend that much money. Definately something to think about.