can anyone tell me about my rifle?!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gtornai1, Sep 2, 2013.

1. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

I got this rifle from my grandpa and want to know more about it what type of 1894 it is how much it could be worth etc. any info would be great because I cant find another like it anywhere on the internet serial number is 393741 thanks

Attached Files:

2. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

All I know about it is its a winchester model 1894 30 WFC and when I looked at the serial number up it told me 1907 round barrel and I don't know if its a 1/2 mag or 3/4 mag
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That would be a 3/4 magazine. Half-mags stop flush with the forearm.

Either that gun is in "oh my god that's perfect" shape, in which case it's worth beau coup money, or it's been refinished, and is probably worth a thousand or less.

I can't tell from the pictures, but I'm betting on the second one.
  4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

Your Model 1894 SPorting Rifle was manufactured in April of 1908.

Unfortunately, it has several negative issues;

(1) The magazine tube has been cut down (shortened).

(2) The barrel has most likely cut down as well. The orignial barrel length was 26-inches, and the magazine tube was full length to the barrel.

(3) The entire rifle has been refinished.

Bert H.
  5. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

I'm not positive bu I think it had been re blued at one point is the peep sight original?
  6. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

If it was cut down how would the mag tube be drilled and taped for the hold pin and the barrel would have had to be drilled too wich seems pretty stupid to do to a rifle does that happen often?
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I'd bet on the refinish also as it has a Marbles tang sight and I do not believe the 94 ever came with a Hawken style front sight.
  8. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

It has definitely been refinished. Does it have a rear sight on the barrel? The tang sight appears to be a Lyman No. 1, and while it is possibly factory original, 9 out of 10 were installed after the fact.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Cut down barrels and magazines tubes are not rare. Lots of people altered their guns to suit them.

Bert H.
  10. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hawg,

I could be wrong, but the front sight looks like a Marbles Sheard, and Winchester did install them on the Model 1894 Sporting Rifles.

Bert H.
  11. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

Did the sell a kit to make it work? Lol cause I don't understand how some one could customary modify it with parts that work perfect for it. I'm not disagreeing with you but am just curios on how that'd work and the barrel doesn't look like its been cut

Attached Files:

12. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

And on the mag tube it's also been tapered for the screw... Just seems like its factory work more than custom
  13. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

All of the factory original full length magazine tubes were made with the retaining screw and flat end cap. Whomever it was that shortened it simply drilled a corresponding blind hole in the barrel. Factory original "short" magazines have a rounded end cap, and do not have the retaining screw. Instead, they are retained by the screw that holds the forend stock nose-cap in place. Many gunsmiths are quite talented.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  14. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

Ooooo I see....so how much would it b worth like this lol
  15. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

If it has a good bore and still shoots accurately, it is worth approximately $450. The serious collectors will not be interested in it at any price.

Bert H.
  16. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

Lol well that's depressing ... I didn't plan on ever selling it anyways I was just wondering thanks for the info
  17. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

Would anyone happen to have a photo or link to what the original looks like
  18. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

19. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

20. gtornai1

gtornai1 New Member

All of these at octagon barrels?... I'm lookin for something that shows how mine was cut down keeping All the original pieces on it and how would they put the front sight on like it is if it had been cut down