The Firearms Forum banner

Can anyone tell me about my Savage Sporter??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  steve99f 
#1 ·
I have been given a Savage Sporter (made by Winchester?-it has a Winchester 'butt plate' on stock; and I know nothing (obviously!) about it or gun parts!) ..ie: what year is it?; why it has a cheek pad (gallery gun?); it is a 22LR bolt action and has a clip (holds 6?8?); the other interesting thing to me.. is that the (stock?)/wood runs all the way to the tip of the barrel? It seems to have a serial number on bottom of trigger gaurd(?)that is #1522(3?)2; can it be fired safely? ..Anything you could tell me would be appriciated; please excuse my "gun ignorance" and spelling!!!

#3 ·
Your butt plate is non factory for sure, the rifle was made by Savage. It's probably the Model 23A. It superceded the Model 19. Clip fed 22 repeater. Going by the #63 catalogue it has a 23 inch round bbl, single takedown screw, 5 shot box mag, should have a German silver blade front sight and a flat top sporting rear sight. These are accurate rifles. The one I have is. I can't tell you when it was made, there is no published info on any of the old rimfire Savages.

steve99f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.