The Firearms Forum banner

Can anyone tell me about this Savage?

16K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 · (Edited)
My mother now has my great grandfather's Savage and wanted me to try to find out what year it was made. The only marking I can find are "Manufactured by Savage Arms Co. Utica.N.Y.U.S.A. Pat Applied For",
22S.L. & L.R., and the serial number is 43570. We are not looking for value, as it will always be in the family, we were just curious as to the year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The octagonal barrel indicates it was made prior to WWII. I have the same Savage. Clean it and shoot it. The value is less than 200.

The gun shoots great. 8 LR cartridges is the best amount. Rack the slide back fast and it will load fine. I am very happy with the gun and shoot mine often.

#4 ·
Thank you both. We were just curious as to what year it was made. I'm not even sure when my great grandfather got it. And it doesn't tell a model. The stock is busted and we'd like to get another for it, or have one made if we could find someone around who makes them. I've been polishing on it all day, and have gotten most of the rust off it, although there was pitting here and there. I think it looks a lot better than it did 2 days ago when I took the pics though.
Thanks again!

#5 ·
You have a model 1903 Savage pump rifle. It wasn't model marked and that is causing the ID problem for you. It was the first hammerless pump design sold commercially. Yours was likely made somewhere around 06/07. There isn't any literature on these out there exept old catalogues and ads. It was followed by the 1909, 1914, 1925 and the 29, all slide action 22's. The 1909 was the same action with a shorter bbl different sights and different wood.

steve99f

#6 · (Edited)
I have found the same thing. Grandpa left a few gifts behind this is one of them. I have the following information:
Savage Arms CO. Utica NY USa
Pat December 25, 1906
Model 1914 22 SL & LR
with what looks like a serial number 5454

Is there any place to get a diagram? Information on how to put this thing together? And is it safe to shoot with newer ammo?

#7 ·
Headrush,

Take it to a gunsmith and have him make sure it is safe to shoot. If it is, your model 1914 was NOT made for High velocity 22 LR ammo. Standard velocity ammo only.

Your rifle differs from the one pictured in this thread. Yours has a tube magazine under the barrel. The one shown in the pics uses a clip type magazine.

Have your gunsmith show you how to take the rifle apart and operate it. It is simple if you are comfortable with guns and their safe use.

Treasure it, keep it and pass it down.

#8 ·
Okay tell me how stupid I am. I took it out last weekend, after through cleaning and lubing, and..... shot it. Wow it loaded the ammo great, shot true (glad to see I am still a pretty good shot) and then...... the ammo did not eject. Seems the ammo goes in nice, I can eject it fine, and run 18 rounds through it with out a problem, except when fired. The shell case expands and will not eject unless I tear it down and manually pull the sucker out. Am I using the wrong ammo? I did run brand new American Eagle High Velocity .22 Long Rifle 40 grain solid AE5022 ammo through it. Should I be running different ammo? Is there something wrong with the gun?

My next problem is, we do not have a gunsmith in this little town, the nearest one is 150+ miles away.

#9 ·
Nothing wrong with the but at all. My father has one of these and he had problems with the high velocity stingers. I would go down to a standard velocity or even a subsonic ammo. It was manufactured long before high velocity .22's were made.

#10 ·
That is not a 1914. It is a 1909 or earlier. It is missing the ammo clip that goes just in front of thr trigger guard. The 1914 and later use a tube magazine. I believe the clip held 7 or 8 rounds. I believe it was their first pump .22 rifle. The clips are still around but are hard to find. I would suggest looking on Numrichs web site. You may find a schematic there also. James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.