Can anyone tell me where I might find

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by John S Bryant, Aug 16, 2010.

1. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

a cylinder stop for a forth model S&W D/A 32 cal break open.
    about 1886. Thanks john 414r@hotmail.com
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

3. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

Numrich out of stock
  4. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

You might call the Jack First Gunshop at (605) 343-9544. They have an enormous supply of obsolete parts and the girls at the phone are more knowlegable than many expect. He's in Rapid City, South Dakota. I have used him in the past and have been very satisfied. Mike
  5. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

none in stock...............thanks
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I made one of those one time. I do NOT plan to do it again!

Jim
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I don't think I'd recommend this, but I was reading an interesting book writen by a gunsmith back in the 1970's, something like HOW TO FIX YOUR HANDGUN... or whatever. Anyway, the gunsmith had pictures in his book of how he made a replacement cylinder stop for a brake top S&W pocket revolver out of spring wire. It sounds nuts, but I guess it worked.

A more likely way to get the part you need is to remove it from a rusty parts revolver. Take off what you need and sell what you don't.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is interesting and might work. I had a time bending and grinding and filing one out of spring steel. Fortunately, I had one to copy as otherwise I don't think I could have done it.

For anyone's information, that cylinder stop is not a small part like the current S&W cylinder stop. It is a long, wavy piece of spring steel that is pivoted back at the top of the front grip strap and goes up, across and down and back up to engage the cylinder. Anyone with the Gun Parts Corp. catalog can see what they look like, but they don't have any.

The part is fragile and spares disappeared quickly; AFAIK, there are no reproductions.

Jim
  9. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

got one hit on line, reasonable price. have to wait and see if it fits. do have the broken one, but it would really take a lot to make one by hand.............
    thanks for all assist...................
  10. Max Donovan

Max Donovan New Member

I have made several of these from Brownell's annealed spring stock. Solder the broken pieces together for a template. Trace it with a needle in Dykem layout blue and file it out. Heat treat with torch or whatever. Make a couple of extras to sell on eBay. Just don't expect to get it right the first time. That's why the spring stock comes in twelve inch lengths.