Can Different Sized Cartridges Fit any 12 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Rhuga, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I know this subject has most likly been brought up before. But, I can't remember seeing it.

Say you have a 12 gauge shotgun that has a 3 inch chamber. Can any length cartridge be used? Or, is it like the .22 cal shorts, longs and long rifle shells can only be used in a gun that has a chamber fitted for them?

How about the magnums or Turkey Guns?

I know that this should be common sense. But, I just want to be sure when I buy a new shotgun that I get the one I need.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

3 inch chamber can safely shoot any shotshell 3 inches and SHORTER. 3.5" chambers can safely shoot any shotshell 3.5" and shorter. Shorter shells usually pattern best from longer chambers. Think of mossberg overbored barrels, they are some of the best patterning shotgun barrels ever made. The extra chamber length lends the same advantage to short shells.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

that's something I have seen first hand my dad had a 3.5" magnum mossberg pump ... it was the best patterning shotgun I have ever seen with federal 2 3/4 shells it would put 90% of the shot in a sheet of notebook paper at 45 yds with a super full turkey choke in it
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

To add to what JLA said, you can safely fire shorts, longs, and LRs in a gun chambered for the LR. It may not chamber easily, and it likely won't work the action of a semi-auto, but it's safe.

Like shot shells (at least all that I know of), the .22 rimfire rounds headspace off the rim, so the length of the chamber can't be too long. As long as it's long enough, it doesn't matter how far past you go.

It's the same reason the .38 Special can be fired in a .357 firearm.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Uhhhh...I gonna get hammered for this, but..here it goes...
    Ive owned one Mossberg and bought it new. I was going to buy it at the Gun
    Shop, but happened to be in a K-"mert" one day and thought "heck...ive never bought
    a gun here before" so they had the 500 there. I bought it on a Monday and sold it on
    Thursday.
    It had the 3 screw in chokes and I had PLENTY of different 12ga shot shells, diff. brands.

Well to make a long story "shorter"....NO PATTERN at all. On any choke tube.
    Took it back to k-"mert" and they said they """could""" send it back and have it checked out. Brought it home with me and bought some more differnt brands of shot shells. (same results)
    Ran an add in the paper and had tons of calls. I named the price and one guy came out.
    I told him why I was selling it...he didnt care and took it off my hands at I took a loss
    of $20+tx. Just saying what my experiance was...Sorry!
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Uh, Zane, how far back are you going? To my knowledge the current production guns just simply don't act like that, the K-mart specials may lack a few bells and whistles but they are sound guns.
  7. Zane71464

It was about 16yrs ago.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And it was a 500. Mossberg only overbores the 835 and 935 magnums.

But still, it should have patterned decently. What was wrong with the patterns dale, were they erratic, have holes in them, etc??
  9. Zane71464

Yep, it was the 500 with wood and heard good things about them at the time.
    The patterns was EVERYWHERE other then where it should have been!
    With the screw-in chokes..."tryied them all"..and put them in right, but
    with all the chokes, the shot-patterns was ALL over the place!
    At 25 yards, it was hard to nail a pop can... #7 shot and maybe 5-6
    pellets would find their mark!? :confused:

EDIT: There was (2) screw in chokes that came with it.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah there was something wrong with that one. Im bettn the barrel was reamed and threaded crooked.