Can I Assemble a gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaddHatterAZ, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MaddHatterAZ

MaddHatterAZ New Member

Could I purchase all the individual parts for a gun, and put it together? Or are there certain parts you can't get or other restrictions I should know about.

I live in Arizona if that matters at all.
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

"A Gun" is pretty broad. It is theoretically possible to do it with any modern firearm I know of. That being said, finding all the specific parts for most options will be very difficult (and expensive) and you're better off buying the whole thing together.

AR's can be built fairly easily I think, I've just never had the patience to read through all the material out there on how to do it.
  3. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

to add to what vladimir said, the only part that must be bought from an ffl store or individual is usually the lower receiver or serial numbered portion of the weapon. By asking such a question, it would lead me to believe that you lacked adequate knowledge of the subject to safely complete such an undertaking. I would advise agianst it for safety reasons, and not just necessarily YOUR safety. You have to thik about those persons around you as well. Until you get some proper, hands on training i would stick to the "preassembled" stuff.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

It is legal for a person in the United States who is legally able to own a gun (non-felon, legally in the country, etc.) to manufacture firearms that are legal to own in the United States. There are restrictions about what is legal to own, so you cannot make those types of guns (short barreled shotgun, automatic gun, etc.), and there are other restrictions about the parts you may use to make certain types of guns.

You may even make your own reciever, though it cannot then be sold unless you have a type 07 Federal Firearms License.

Really, it is a very long and difficult process. If you know what you're doing, you can save some money. If you don't really know what you're doing, it's not a good choice as your first gun project.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Josh is dead on. As long as the firearm that you make is compliant to ALL laws, you can make it. You had better be sure that it is compliant, because if it is not, the fires of hell won't burn you as bad as the BATFE will. On that you can bet on.

Art
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I did this once, many years ago.
    An ad in Shotgun News from a parts seller specializing in the government 1911 .45 ACP offered to ship a kit of all the parts needed to build one, and the price was VERY good. Since I was quite familiar with the weapon, having used it in the service and could field strip it in my sleep, I ordered it. I got this cardboard box in the mail, and when I opened it was the most gosh-awful jumble of parts, screws, springs, etc., that I had ever seen. It was then that I realized the job was FAR beyond simple assembly after a field strip. I found a gun mag with an exploded view of this model, and assembled it from that.
    It took MANY hours to put it all together.
    The FIRST time.
    I had several problems, including one scary round of full-auto fire, before I got it together right.
    But the last assembly only took a few minutes -
    That was around forty years ago, and that is still the gun I keep by my bed at night.

You MAY save money this way -
    And you WILL have a learning experience!
  7. ArcherSix

ArcherSix New Member

I agree with the above posts. If you want to go ahead with this, probably the easiest route to go would be with an ar-15. Check Shotgun News, the parts are out there. You will need an FFL to get the reciever for you, the rest of the parts can be bought as a kit from various sources. However, before you do this, EDUCATE yourself. Read as much as you can. Check Brownells for reading material. And, you'll need some tools(read around to find out what for whichever type of firearm you choose). Finally, have a good gunsmith check it over before you fire it!

...and have fun. Two of my favorite rifles are ones I built, but that was at gunsmithing school.