Can I change .223 to .308 in M700 VLS ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ueckhaus1, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

I have a Remington M700 VLS in .223. It has the factory 26" heavy barrel and laminated stock. Is it possible or feasible to change it over to .308?

If it's possible, what would need to be done?

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!

Glenn

"If you know how many guns you own, then you don't own enough!"
  2. deerkiller09

deerkiller09 New Member

yes, you can change it over with a new barrel, i know for a fact it would work because I have my own .308 Model 700 VLS( Varmint Laminate Stock ) It is all just a matter of finding someone that has the barrel, possibly The Remington Factory.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I think you may have to change the head on the bolt, also.:)
  4. Mark

Mark New Member

This caliber conversion is certainly possible, here's what I'm seeing.

1. New barrel.

2. New bolt. I don't think you could just open up the existing bolt face because of the location of the ejector plunger. If this wasn't enough of a factor, you would have to recut the snap ring groove that the extractor fits in. While you're at it, fit a new extractor.

3. The magazine box has to be replaced, along with the follower and spring. I'm not sure, but I think the action area will also have to be inletted to get this to fit.

4. The feed lips on the receiver (magazine well) will have to be reshaped to handle the bigger cartridge.

5. New bolt stop. The bolt will have to move more to the rear of the action for the longer cartridge.

I've got the feeling I'm missing something else. Anybody have anything to add?
    Mark
  5. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I think in the end result It would be cheaper to bye a 308 rifle??
  6. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

Thanks everybody for your replies!!!

I think Red might be right. If I just replace the bbl, bolt, action, and stock, and then have it tuned like the existing M700 VLS that I'm converting,and of course replace the 8-32X42 AO scope with a more compact 4-12X, I should be able to accomplish the conversion for something under $1600.

What do you all think I should do?

Glenn / Wisconsin

P.S. Unfortunately, I've been cursed with the inability to SELL a firearm once I've touched it, so I suppose I should start looking for some more space in my gun safe.
  7. Mark

Mark New Member

Glen,
    You would have to look at the money, but you could get a 700 in a .308, 7/08, .243, etc., anything short action with the .473 bolt face. Since you are in Wisconsin, you could drive the rifle down to Krieger barrels, in Richfield and have him rebarrel it to .308.
    Krieger can also true the bolt face, lap in the locking lugs, true the receiver, and really make this thing into a tack driver. You will really have to do homework on this, because he will ask you all kinds of questions about what you want.

The website is www.kriegerbarrels.com

The website is fun by itself.
    Mark