Can I change .223 to .308 in M700 VLS ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ueckhaus1, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. ueckhaus1

    ueckhaus1 New Member

    Aug 8, 2006
    I have a Remington M700 VLS in .223. It has the factory 26" heavy barrel and laminated stock. Is it possible or feasible to change it over to .308?

    If it's possible, what would need to be done?



    "If you know how many guns you own, then you don't own enough!"
  2. deerkiller09

    deerkiller09 New Member

    Sep 23, 2006
    yes, you can change it over with a new barrel, i know for a fact it would work because I have my own .308 Model 700 VLS( Varmint Laminate Stock ) It is all just a matter of finding someone that has the barrel, possibly The Remington Factory.

  3. I think you may have to change the head on the bolt, also.:)
  4. Mark

    Mark New Member

    Jul 1, 2006
    This caliber conversion is certainly possible, here's what I'm seeing.

    1. New barrel.

    2. New bolt. I don't think you could just open up the existing bolt face because of the location of the ejector plunger. If this wasn't enough of a factor, you would have to recut the snap ring groove that the extractor fits in. While you're at it, fit a new extractor.

    3. The magazine box has to be replaced, along with the follower and spring. I'm not sure, but I think the action area will also have to be inletted to get this to fit.

    4. The feed lips on the receiver (magazine well) will have to be reshaped to handle the bigger cartridge.

    5. New bolt stop. The bolt will have to move more to the rear of the action for the longer cartridge.

    I've got the feeling I'm missing something else. Anybody have anything to add?
  5. Red Neck64

    Red Neck64 Former Guest

    Jun 18, 2006
    North N.Y.STATE
    I think in the end result It would be cheaper to bye a 308 rifle??
  6. ueckhaus1

    ueckhaus1 New Member

    Aug 8, 2006
    Thanks everybody for your replies!!!

    I think Red might be right. If I just replace the bbl, bolt, action, and stock, and then have it tuned like the existing M700 VLS that I'm converting,and of course replace the 8-32X42 AO scope with a more compact 4-12X, I should be able to accomplish the conversion for something under $1600.

    What do you all think I should do?

    Glenn / Wisconsin

    P.S. Unfortunately, I've been cursed with the inability to SELL a firearm once I've touched it, so I suppose I should start looking for some more space in my gun safe.
  7. Mark

    Mark New Member

    Jul 1, 2006
    You would have to look at the money, but you could get a 700 in a .308, 7/08, .243, etc., anything short action with the .473 bolt face. Since you are in Wisconsin, you could drive the rifle down to Krieger barrels, in Richfield and have him rebarrel it to .308.
    Krieger can also true the bolt face, lap in the locking lugs, true the receiver, and really make this thing into a tack driver. You will really have to do homework on this, because he will ask you all kinds of questions about what you want.

    The website is

    The website is fun by itself.
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
Technical Questions & Information After stock change 870 jams Feb 22, 2015
Technical Questions & Information Color Change Aug 20, 2014
Technical Questions & Information 1897 winchester barrel change Jul 26, 2014
Technical Questions & Information IJ Top Break hammer/hammerless .38 Cylinders Interchangeable? Jun 2, 2014
Technical Questions & Information Does anyone know if a Colt Burgess barrel will interchange with a Winchester 1873. Apr 21, 2014