1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Can I drop a round into the chamber of a Winchester 88?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

Went to my LGS tonight with two handguns I no longer wanted and came back with a .308 Winchester 88 after I asked if he had a Savage 99 in that caliber.

As in a pump shot gun, with an empty magazine and an open bolt can I drop a fresh round into the chamber and close the bolt?

Which rings for the scope base?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

1). Yes. (2). Weaver or Weaver style.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep.. Bushmaster.. Dont go buy any rings.. Just PM me your mailbox. I have a box full of spare take offs from mounting scopes for poeple and they leave their old hardware with me. just tell me what height you need and they are yours. I even have weaver brand to match the weaver base if you want.
  4. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

You may like the Mod 88 better than the 99 anyway, I have a Mod 88 in .284, I believe the 88 lever action using the same amount of lugs/locking action as the Mod 70 bolt actions, and the lever is quicker than a bolt,

From what I have read the Mod 88 action was a very good action, but never really caught on for whatever reason, I killed my first few deer with mine,
  5. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

If you're still wanting a 99 I have one in .300 savage that I might gave to sell, just pm if you want to know more.