Can someone explain youtube to me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, May 16, 2011.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I know it's "express yourself". Some people post stupid videos of themselves. Some post helpful videos. Some post music videos, or movie clips or old TV shows. I know that. I go look at stuff on youtube all the time.

But - John was so proud when he got a youtube channel. "Y'all come look at my youtube channel". I see, on TV shows and in movies, people talking about how some video "got 5000 hits" or "got 5 million hits". Then, someone has just registered, and his first post is, "Come look at my youtube video".

Why? What does it get the poster if I watch his video? As hard as some work to get you to watch, and as happy as it makes them if you do - "Man, I only got 400 hits.:(" "Really? I got 25 thousand hits :D" -so what?

I've seen some with ads on the video. So, if you get 100,000 hits, does Pepsi (for example) come up and say, "Hey, we want to buy ad space on your youtube video"? If you've got 2 million hits, does Pepsi pay more money than they do if you only have a hundred thousand?
  2. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Some people do get some advertising money from it... buy not many.

For most people involved, it's a hobby. It's what they do for fun, same as we do with shooting and reloading and such.

It's never really appealed to me, so maybe I'm not the right person to explain it, though.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yet, to many, it's simply their 60 seconds of fame !!
    They need to be loved, and they need to be told
    that they are loved. Sheeple, many are, not leaders.
    A fine example of our illustrious US school system
    and the 'no child left behind' mentality.
    The people that actually supply something informative
    on YouTube are great. So is some of the witty and fun
    stuff, as laughter is the best medicine.
    The stupid crap is..........what a waste of a great
    God-given brain.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Speaking of John, Alpo... Back when he made his Quran burning video. it was such an uproar that youtube offered him a monthly paycheck to allow them to post sponsors adds to it and for him to maintain it and keep the religious flame war goin. I believe he accepted the offer, tho I cannot confirm. I have not spoken or recieved email from John since his banishment from TFF.

I personally use youtube to look up stuff like "replacing the wheel bearings on a dana 35" Someone has done it and made a youtube video for me to watch and see how its done.. Same goes for cleaning guns, gun reviews, taking rare or odd guns apart. Heck, My little bro learned to play the guitar by watching youtube video lessons...
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Justin Bieber made himself a child superstar via youtube.