The Firearms Forum banner

can someone help me

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  oscarmayer 
#1 ·
This is my first time on this site. I hope someone can help me out. I know very little about guns. I have a pistol that has been handed down a couple of times. I was told it is from WWI. The writing on the pistol is not very clear because of the pitting. What I can make out is JUAN ESPERANZA y PEDRO UNCETA, and CAL 7.65 PISTOLA AUTOMATICA
There are some other words, but like I said I can't make it out because of the pitting. the "fire" and "safe" are also in spanish, and there are the initials EU in an oval. I searched pistols from the WWI time period, and I found one that looks similiar, it's the 7.65 1911 model Automatic Pistol Astra Patent. Everything looks exactly the same except on my pistol the writing is in spanish, there are initials in the oval under the cuts (slide grips?), the wood grips have a screw on the top and the bottom, not in the middle, and the wood grips are plain, not diamond. Can someone tell me the year and model of my pistol. Thanks for the help.

G
#2 ·
Ascoli, I suspect what you have is a pistol actually built by Astra in Spain. It sounds like an Astra Model 1915 which was a contract pistol made for the French Government for WWI by Astra. The earlier production (1915) pistols were marked "1915" on the slide, subsequent years were all marked 1916. These are often referred to as the 1915/16 Astra. As the French government demand increased for these pistols, Astra subbed out to a half dozen other local Eibar firms to produce these pistols also. So you will see a lot of these pattern pistols with other firms (e.g., Arrizabalaga) marked on them. If I am right, the pistol is probably chambered for the 7.65 Largo round.

#4 ·
Hi ascoli1962......welcome to TFF. :)

Actually, the Blue Book does list an Astra Model 1911. Here's what it says:

"MODEL 1911 - .25ACP or .32ACP cal., semi-auto, may have external or internal hammer."

Blue Book value (% = amount of original finish left):

98% - $265
95% - $175
90% - $135
80% - $115
70% - $100

Add 50% if with external hammer.

7.65 caliber is the same as .32 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol).

Don Juan Esperanza began business in Eibar, Spain in July, 1908, and adopted the "Astra" trademark in November, 1914.

That would mean that your pistol was made sometime between 1911 and 1914....as later manufactured firearms would bear the Astra trademark.

#6 ·
I'm glad you clarified the % and ACP, because I wouldn't of had a clue what you were talking about otherwise....
If you have any questions about firearms, don't hesitate to ask. That's what we're here for. We were all new to the shooting sports at one time or another.

"There's no such thing as a stupid question.....only people who are too stupid to ask questions."

#7 ·
Ascoli, I suspect what you have is a pistol actually built by Astra in Spain. It sounds like an Astra Model 1915 which was a contract pistol made for the French Government for WWI by Astra. The earlier production (1915) pistols were marked "1915" on the slide, subsequent years were all marked 1916. These are often referred to as the 1915/16 Astra. As the French government demand increased for these pistols, Astra subbed out to a half dozen other local Eibar firms to produce these pistols also. So you will see a lot of these pattern pistols with other firms (e.g., Arrizabalaga) marked on them. If I am right, the pistol is probably chambered for the 7.65 Largo round.
Hello, I too have a WWI vintage Astra. Mine is a Astra 7.65mm (.32 cal) Model 1911 with internal hammer. It is in very good condition. Can you tell me or direct me to where I can get instructions on how to field strip this weapon for a thorough cleaning.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.