Can someone tell me what the dovetail width for the rear sight of a Radom P35 is ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by louielouie, Apr 4, 2010.

1. louielouie

louielouie New Member

I have only been out a couple of times with my Radom P35, but I know the sights must be set for around 50 yards or more. I love the trigger and the way the pistol handles. I only have one major complaint.

When I shoot at the target from 15 yards I have to aim about 2 inches above the 6 inch bullseye just to get the shot on the paper.

I like to use adjustable rear sights on my pistols, but of course I can't find any listed for the P35. I tried to measure the width of the dovetail from the side and came up with .275 inches. Does that sound right or can any one tell me what the dovetail width for the rear sight should be?

I really would hate to have to push the rear sight out, just to measure the dovetail.

Thanks,
    louielouie
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Re: Can someone tell me what the dovetail width for the rear sight of a Radom P35 is

The only way anyone else could measure that slot would be to remove the sight from their gun, which I doubt anyone will want to do.

I can tell you that the M1911 rear sight slide dovetail cut is .344" at the bottom, and has a 25 degree taper, so any sight made for the M1911 could be filed down to fit the Radom if your measure is correct.

Jim
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

Re: Can someone tell me what the dovetail width for the rear sight of a Radom P35 is

You need to move the rear sight up...
  4. louielouie

louielouie New Member

Jim K,
    As always I thank you for coming through with the good advice.
    I might just have the gunsmith install the sights in case he needs to mill any.
    If I decide to do it myself I can use your 1911 measurement as a starting point.

wpage,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You are right about the direction to move my sight.
    The easiest way I remember which way to move my sights is always " move the sight in the direction you want the bullet to hit". In other words if the point of impact is low (as with my Radom) then I need to move the sight up to raise the point of impact.

louielouie
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You can also file down the front sight, but there isn't enough front sight on the Radom to do that, and of course it would completely ruin the gun. You could probably have a rear sight made that would be a bit higher but still look OK, and could be removed and the original sight put back on as long as you don't change the dovetail in the slide. Putting on an adjustable rear sight without a new front sight would bring the group way too high.

The problem, as I see it, is that the Radom is more a collectible than a shooting pistol (although they shoot very well), and any thing like changing the sights knocks the value down maybe $500. There are other alternatives if you want a target pistol.

Jim
  6. louielouie

louielouie New Member

Jim,
    I usually don't keep any firearms that can't be shot and enjoyed.
    There are different collectors and different collections.

Each to his own, and I thank you as always for your input. I really value what you say.

Wayne (louielouie)