1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Can these .223 shells be reloaded?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by elber, Oct 4, 2003.

1. elber

elber New Member

Hi All,

This is a picture of some of the shells ejected by my ranch rifle... I don't currently reload, but I always gather up my brass when I'm done at the range. What I am wondering is, how much damage is too much to run through a press and reload? 1-6 are basically the best to worst condition that I see, and #7 is just one that is pretty chewed up.

Thanks!
    -elber

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

One through three are fine. #4 is marginal but worth a try. Forget the rest.
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Are they Boxer Primed, or military Berdan Primed.......?

Boxer primers you can reload, from what I'm told you'll have a difficult time if they're Berdan Primed........
  4. elber

elber New Member

They are Winchester USA - not sure what kind of primer they have, but pretty sure it's nothing fancy!

-elber
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Elber, first off welcome to TFF. I would agree with Xracer on this. However, these can be reformed if you get a tapered neck sizer button for your reloading die. The big drawback to resizing caved in necks is that it works the brass too much and you will get cracks in the case neck.

Now, you may be able to get rid of the problem by slightly changing the recoil spring weight. A good set of Wolf springs may do the trick for ya. Might want to ask your local gunsmith about it!
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you anneal the necks after re-rounding them, the life of the brass is not shortened. I've recovered many a 30-06 case with a battered/dented mouth.

Pops
  7. elber

elber New Member

Thanks for the info, folks! (will help to reduce my luggage a bit...)

I'll look into the wolf springs, too.... Will try to remember to post a pic of what the shells come out like afterwards.

-elber
  8. rodog

rodog New Member

ive reloaded a shit load of 223 for my mini-14, and i want to tell you some info that i had to do. I had to sand off about 1/8 inch from the die bottom , so it would size the top of the brass, because it would chamber hard big time after reloading , since then there fine. I had to shave a Lee die and Rcbs die. Also, i loaded 1 grain under max if i remember, and they function awsome, static firing too. AND, you will probably have to trim a lot of them , so i pays off if you buy a trim die or the power trimmer, etc.:cool:
  9. Cliff

Cliff New Member

If one will make sure that the outside of the neck and inside the neck are well lubricated and the expander is smooth and slow, I, I would use them all. Remember I didn't tell you that you could, would, should reload them though.