Can this be done safely?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Indy Bob, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

I am having a hard time getting regular, small pistol primers. I am shooting a 9mm Taurus, Model 24/7.
    My loads have been 4.6 gr of H-38 and a 115 gr FMJ bullet.
    There are a lot of small pistol magnum primers on the shelves.

Would this be a dangerous load using the small pistol magnum primerfor my pistol and the 10% reduced load mentioned below?
    Note: My 4.6 gr load is 10% reduced from maximum of 5.1 gr.

Thanks in advance,
    Indy Bob
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Any time you make a component change, do a complete load work up from step one. If it was impossible to locate spp's, then With proper load workup, it can be done safely, though it is not something I personally would do unless Absolutely necessary. There are still plenty of spp's available online. Just find some friends to go in with you and do a bulk order.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Your load is actually .1gr below Min., so you should be fine. A magnum primer is not something to fear, it is just a primer, when using them start low and work up.
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I have interchanged magnum for non-magnum depending on circumstance. As long as you work up carefully, you should not have any problem.
  5. BillM

BillM Active Member

You will see maybe 10-15 fps more velocity with the magnum
    primer, and with light charges you will probably see a reduction
    in extreme velocity spread. If you are running a striker fired
    gun with a lightened striker spring, you may experience light
    strikes.
  6. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

A good enfo thread, thank you.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1:yeahthat:
  8. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Is your taurus a +p rated gun in case you make a mistake?
  9. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Probably not. It is not an old model.... but a Taurus 24/7 I bought about a year or so ago.
    I did a lot of "studying before buying, and unless I missed it, I never saw a +P on any of the 9 mm's I searched.
    Now my Taurus model 85 snub nose .38 special IS rated for +P.
    Like I said ........ I might have missed that fact. ;)
    I do feel safe using 4.7 gr. of H-38 because that is 10% under maximum.
    I also look down each row of cartridges to check the powder level to make sure I don't throw a double charge. (Especially my pistol cases)! The shop light illuminates the powder inside and I can easily see a double charge.
    Bob
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Where have to looked for primers, Bob? I haven't looked at all in a couple months, but last I knew primers were broadly available on the south and east sides.

In the Indy area, Profire Arms & Supply is the leader in reloading equipment and components. They just got the new shop open; it'd be worth the trip to check.

Profire Arms and Supply
    2904 Maywood Road
    Indianapolis, IN 46241
    ph: 317-757-8132
  11. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Thanks Josh, .... I will definitely check them out. I have found the cheapest powder prices at the new range at Atterbury. Example: H-380, and IMR 4064 are only $21,00 each. I do not have any friends that shoot so the "hazmat fee" to ship from say.. Midway, is out of the question. I live 5 min. from Gander Mountain in Greenwood and they are out of the primers I use. The Outdoorsman in Greenwood did have some primers but I did not check lately.
    I will for sure check out the Profire Arms Supply.
    Again,
    Thanks,
    Bob
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Bob;

The range at Atterbury is nice. I used to live in the Trafalgar area, so I was actually a member there for a year. I wasn't reloading at the time, so I can't speak to the component prices. $21 for powder though isn't bad at all.

I try to stay out of Gander Mtn, but the Outdoorsman is a shop I like. Can't stand Elmore's, though I haven't been in there since they smoking ban took effect.
    I'm in favor of freedom for store owners, but I'm also free to avoid stores in which I can't breathe.
  13. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Josh,
    Yes .......... I agree about Gander Mountain. I do mostly "window shopping" there, seeing items in person instead of a catalog. I have done most all of my shooting accessories shopping on the Internet from MidwayUSA. There website is VERY good at explaining about the product.... and there are usually enough reviews to get some idea of the quality of the product. (I won't pay $25 hazmat fee so I buy primers and powder locally).

I do live only 1.5 miles away from Gander, and sometimes I don't have the money to buy 1000 primers. I was buying them (to stock up), in single boxes ...... maybe 1 or 2 a week. WalMart is next door and I am there once a week anyway.

I bought my BuckMark .22 pistol at the Outdoorsman. YES .... I like that place too. They have a good selection of shooting, and fishing items. I did not even know about Elmores till this year. I have been in there only 2 times. Not very friendly people behind the counters. I never bought anything there.

I looked up ProFire on Google maps and I am going to go there Monday to look around.
    Thanks again for the heads up on them.
    Indy Bob.
  14. judgecrater

judgecrater New Member

I had the same question. I spoke to Federal Co. tech dept regarding mag primers in regular applications. They said pressures would not be increased, but did not recommend it as the cups are harder and some may get light strikes due to the increased hardness. If your pistol hits them hard enough, it is a go.