Can you eat elephant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trevor1837, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Just saw some pics of people on safari who shot an elephant, I was just wondering if you could eat it? If so how does it taste haha? Just curious...
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

No LSU/ BAMA jokes please
    yeah when they kill one in a lot of african countries they give the meat to the locals they love it (maybe cuz they are starving) they say the meat inside the tusk is better than filet mignon
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Have a huntin buddy who comes up Alaska every fall. In late 70's, early 80's worked in Rhodesia off and on. He shot a bunch of game back when it was cheap to do so, he claimed. I asked him, why would ya want to shoot a dang elephant like you'd see in a circus? He said the local villagers just luved when people killed elephants as the Natives got it and they'd cut it all up, eat good. He said nowadays, it's high priced to kill good game in Africa. He said his brother went over this fall, shot a pig of some sorts, and two other smaller than deer sized animals, cost him $8000 and that wasn't even flights & lodging.

guess that's why my friend hunts up here with us in Ak nowadays.
  4. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Its got nothing to do with people starving, Africans have been eating Elephants for thousands of years, nothing new, all races and nations eat the food that is prevalent in their area, just like North Americans eat Possum and Raccoons and Rattler snakes and Aligator steaks etc.

Native AlaSKANS eat Whale and caribou etc. People in Japan eat mostly seafood because they live on an island in the middle of the ocean, its not Rocket science folks.
  5. H0tr0dder

H0tr0dder New Member

You learn something new every day! I had no idea there was meat inside an elephants tusk. Always just thought it was boney.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

A whole elephant, I've never tried.

I have eaten a 72 ounce steak with salad and baked tater and 4 pounds of spare ribs with a side of pintos and slaw. But never an elephant. :D
  7. H0tr0dder

H0tr0dder New Member

Good lord man...was that over the course of a week?? Haha
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Nope, one sitting for each, it's free that way.
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

You CAN eat anything you want.............the question is would you?
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Hansom, I just thought all those Biafrans can't be wrong; thin as they look to me, I thought they were short on food and been that way for many years I always heard.

I will agree that people get accustomed and prefer the game they get locally. We've taught in villages where the Indians didn't eat caribou as they were moose people and other villages they didn't eat bear cause they were their long lost relatives and on and on.

Also, we always get hunters from outside who can't get their meat flown out and give it to the locals who gladly take it; so when my friend mentioned the natives in Africa luved him for it and I thought about those starving village babies sucking on their hand, I just figured Oh ya. They probably all eating better than us in USA though.

Ya know what they really like up here, LYNX, no joke.

Actually, my buddy has shown me picts of game he shot way back when he was working in Africa. His stories get even better the drunker he gets, ha ha. He always tells the Indians here in our village about when he killed a lion near this African village and he was a hero and all, ha ha. How they made him honorary chief for the day, threw a big dinner celebration for him and gave him a 14 year old virgin girl and promised if he didn't have a male heir to her, they'd give him another. ha ha. I always get some laughs cause the Indians jaws drop and are ready to head off to Africa.

Now I've been there when my buddy shot grizz up close, several shots to put bear down and he could barely get words outta his mouth after. Boy, I'd figure he'd about have a heart attack if a lion came in on him, ha ha. I'd like to see it with my own eyes just for a few harrs.
  11. Ken W

Ken W Member

howlnmad, how did you not explode after those meals? :eek:
    As for the original topic, I honestly don't find the thought of eating elephant very appealing.
  12. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

...just like chicken.:D
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Waste not want not, if you shoot it you eat it. :D
  14. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    Hey I have eaten @ "Beef Steak Charlies"

that "72" ounce steak if you do its FREE

Think they got really pissed tho when I asked

:D WHATS for DESERT? :D

NOW I'm on a diet & can only eat the Wabbit food:(
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  15. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Sure you can eat anything you shot, but elephant is bad karma.