can you guys educate me on 7.62x39 reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, May 9, 2012.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

i been reloading for about 6 months now and i love it. i reload 38 special, 9mm, .223 rem and would like to add 7.62x39 to the list. i know theirs 2 types of brass, and i was wondering if you guys can shed some light on the 2 types of brass and the reloading process. i been buying what i think is reloads at the gun shows for my sks. and the reason why i said "what i think is reloads" is some of the primers have a round headed primers and some look like a flat just like my .223 ,so im sure their reloads but once i see the brass with the round primer i start to wonder.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

After you shot a couple of them, pick one up and look into the case with a flashlight. If you see ONE flash hole in the center, it is Boxer primed and is re-loadable. If you see two smaller flash holes, offset from the center, they are Berdan primed. Berdan primed brass can be reloaded but not any where as easy as Boxer primed brass. One other quick thing, if the ammo you are buying is grey or greenish in color, it is a good bet they are Berdan primed steel cases. Easier to chunk them in the trash!!
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Do watch your makes of brass as well! Rem. uses a Small primer. Others use a Large primer.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The x39 loads the same as any other bottle necked rifle round. However as with many rounds that fall under the "Military" category brass can be an issue. Primers can be crimped (although I have never seen a crimped x39), Boxer or Berdan, cases can be brass, steel, lacquer coated steel, copper washed steel and even nickle coated steel.

Without getting into the do's and don'ts about steel cases, consider them non-reloadable. A magnet will tell you if they are steel or not. Also, as stated above, consider Berdan primed cases Non-reloadable.

If you want to load the x39, you need brass, boxer primed cases. All other cases should be avoided.
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

A round or flat headed primer means only one needed more force to seat than the other, nothing more. I often have flattened looking primers with the Remington 9.5 primers I use in 7.62x39mm Wishnester brass, and Fiocchi has VERY tight primer pockets. Also, Remington brass uses small rifle, while most of the other Boxer primed brass use large rifle primers.
    I enjoy loading for this caliber, and recommend you try Berry's new .310 plated 125 grain bullet made for 7.62x39mm, great bullet. My CZ 527M loves that bullet.
    Accurate Arms #1680 is the 7.62x39mm powder for me, even though I can get very good results with H-4895 as well.
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

Thanks everyone.
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

How fast are you pushing this bullet? Berry's says to keep it under 1800fps. That's below Mini for all the data I have. What's your load?
  8. res45

res45 Member

You can use lead bullet data with plated bullet,you may have to get yourself a Lyman cast bullet manual to get some starting load data. Although I've loaded and shot many types and weights of J bullets in my SKS rifle I pretty much exclusively shoot cast bullets in them now.

In my Chinese rifle a load of 12.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 will push my 170 gr. gas check bullet at 1450 fps. cycles the action perfectly and drops the brass right at my feet. If I jack the load up to around 15.0 grs. MV runs around 2K fps.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Thanks, I have Lyman 4th Addition Cast Handbook and the only load it lists with a 130gr lead bullet at less than 1800fps is 10.3gr Unique at 1786fps. I don't think 10.3gr of Unique will cycle the action of my Ruger.
  10. res45

res45 Member

In the Lyman 49 Edition it list the same 130 gr. cast bullet #311410 The starting load of Unique is 8.0 grs. MV 1552 Max. load 10.3 grs. MV 1786.

I would give it a try being the plated bullet will generate a little more pressure than the cast lead bullet.The pressure curve on the Unique loads will be quiet a bit sharper as it burns much faster so it may generate enough pressure to cycles the action. Just kinda depends n the gas system.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I don't think so. Chamber pressure has little or nothing to do with "port" pressure. Because Unique burns so quickly it produces little or no gas down the bore(port pressure) to enter the gas port leaving the action neutered.
    I have loaded Blue Dot , 2400 and IMR 4227 in my Ruger. Blue Dot would not even budge the slide. 2400 would bring it back about 1/2 way and close back on the fired round. 4227 would eject a few, but most rounds would just jamb in the closing bolt.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if needing reloadable brass.. what about the winchester bricks sold at places like wally-mart.

have fun shooting them with the factory loads.. on the cheap.. then have fun relaoding them?
  13. armoredman

armoredman New Member

The Berry's bullet runs quite well with 28 grains of Hodgdon H-4895, as shown here.

[​IMG]

I haven't gotten that far out with other loads yet, but it shows promise with lighter loads of AA #1680, such as,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only chrono'ed one load, (just got a ProChrono), and that was a 28 grains of AA#1680, which is max for jacketed. That load proved to be just past the upper end of the plated bullet's durability, as plating started to shed. When I get out again, I'll chrono the standby loads with the 527M. :)