Can you identify?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by jgeddings, May 5, 2009.

1. jgeddings

jgeddings New Member

I'm trying to identify a few small pistols. I believe they are all tear gas guns used by law enforcement a number of years ago. I'm hoping to gather some information on them.

1) This appears to be a .22 caliber. It is definitely a rim-fire. The nose unscrews to allow one round to be inserted. The back knurled knob is spring-loaded. When it is pulled back and locked into place, the palm lever on the side discharges it. There are no markings on it at all.

2) This appears to be a .38 caliber gas gun. It appears to be black painted brass. The nose unscrews to allow the placement on one .38 caliber round. Just like above, the knurled knob on the end is spring-loaded and, once pulled back, it can be discharged by pressing the small button on the side. It has writing which reads: ART BURNSIDE & CO, SPOKANE, WN. USA The pocket clip reads: FAULTLESS USA

3) This appears to be a mechanical pencil on one end and a .38 caliber gas gun on the other. Once again, no markings at all. The knurled end can be unscrewed to allow one .38 caliber round to be inserted. The lever on the side is sprin-loaded and it can be drawn back and released, to discharge the round.

I will attempt to attach photos, sorry about the quality.

I'm new here and I hope this is the proper forum to ask these questions, if not, I apologize. Thanks, Jeff.

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have seen such before, they used to come under the term 'zip guns'. Better made ones were intended for assassins, mostly made by people who have read too many spy books. I wish I could add more but I cant.

Except maybe check your local gun laws regarding firearms disguised as something else! In some places they are real hot potatoes.
  3. schutzen-jager

schutzen-jager New Member

the one in the middle was sold by mail order in the 50's + early 60's - find some old guns or guns + ammo magazines + you can see the ads - they were
    for civilian sale - price $9.95 - gun control act of 1968 made them illegal -
  4. jgeddings

jgeddings New Member

Thanks for your help on these.

I just wanted to confirm that these were initially made to deploy tear gas weren't they? I can see that someone would use them for other purposes, but I'm putting them on display and I want to describe them properly.

Also, can anyone tell me the actual name of any of these? I'd like to research them more, if possible, and I'd like to give their brand, etc. on their identification plaque.

Thanks in advance
  5. schutzen-jager

schutzen-jager New Member

again the one in the middle - found advertisement for one in august 1965 guns magazine page 57 - called the pen guard # 10 - was being sold by public sport shops in phila. pa. - if i remember correctly they were .38 + people were using regular ammo in them ( not tear gas shells ) - production was stopped by 1968 gun control act - i would check because i think that they might have to be registered with atf + tax paid to be legal -
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The commercial examples you have pictured were made for tear gas shells. They will blow up if fired with regular ammo. One of the above penguns looks homemade and I have no way of knowing if it was made for regular ammo or not.
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

This may only be a rumor, but I heard the one in the middle has gone into production again - though it is only available in 50 BMG. After only two weeks of production the Chinese company making them issued a recall. It seems the eraser also contains lead.
  8. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

wouldnt mind having a 22 zipgun, also i wouldnt mind having an old squeeze gun, round and when you squeeze it, it cycled and shot, not sure what they are called. very neet pieces of history.
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

As soon as I seen them I thought of the old zip guns also Tranter. My brother used to have one of those he actually made when he was in high school in machine shop. What a lot of fun to play with when you know you shouldn't be. JUNK
  11. mr_fixxit50

mr_fixxit50 New Member

I realize that it's been almost 5 years since the short life of this thread, but if Jeff Geddings comes back, I'd like to learn it he found any of the info he was seeking. (I found one of these among my dad's treasures and am curious about it.)
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

maybee when he gets out of prison he will email you. ;)
  13. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

It's a "Faultless" Pen Gun manufactured by Federal Laboratories of Pittsbugh, PA 1925 - 32. It's a tear gas projector. The version which accepted a .38 tear gas cartridge had its muzzle diameter restricted to .25". Don't know how to post links, but if you Google Faultless Pen Gun it'll pull up some data and pictures for you.