Can you justify the Leupold scope purchase

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Nieman5, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Nieman5

Nieman5 New Member

I want one really bad, however it costs almost as much as the gun.
    I just dont think I can justify the upgrade. Plus I like my Bushnell that I currently have.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

I love the leupold scopes they are awesome! but I havnt been able to afford one so my main huntin' rifle has a Nikon on it I love it too!
  3. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

If you can try to find an old one, even if its damamged you can send it in and it will be rapaired at the factory or replaced for shipping cost.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Nieman5

it depends a lot on what your doing and what rifle and round your using

i have Leo's , but i save em for where the difference will count

my .223 deer rifle i use a bushnell as its a 300-400 meter rifle and the bushy is fine for that

my .300 win mag i use the leo on ,
    1 recoil the Leo will take it all day
    2 the range , the .300 is a 800 yard rifle and at that range the difference between the bushy mid range and the leo really shows up , the high end bushy's are not quite ( but not that far off) the leo so the leo gives me a tad more range and reliability

i see folks with leo's on .22 hunters and its a waste , a tasco will do the job nicely

a saying here , horses for courses meaning for a nag job use a rough nag , for a elite and long distance , get your champion thoughbred out ..

good luck
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Throwing the names around without the models is almost pointless. I have a couple of Bushnells that are much better than a couple of my Leupolds.
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have a Leupold Vari X II that my .338 Win mag with the Savage factory Brake destroys like clock work every time I mount it on the rifle. The gas angles on that brake are way too aggressive, but that particular Leupold will not take being mounted on that rifle.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

+1 there
    the mid range bushy's are as good or BETTER than the budget leo's now

counter sniper too , in fact the low end leo's are not worth buying in my thoughts , too many outfits have picked up their game the last few years

but the top end leo's are still hard to beat but the $$$$ :eek:
  8. Connors

Connors New Member

Hey Jack,

Low end Leos? is this the VX1

Cheers
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have many different brand scopes including Leopolds and Burris's. But lately the only scopes I buy are the Bushnell Trophy's. Frankly, I can not see any difference in their mages between those of either the Leopolds or the Burris and the Trophy's. There may be a difference but my eyes can not see it! Most scopes today (except for some of the scopes under $100) have adjustments that hold and repeat. Most all scopes are sealed and filled with nitrogen. Most scopes are pretty well finished and made. Some of the lesser scopes are even multi-coated. So why pay for the name? But pay too little and you may be disappointed.

The only scopes I have ever had come apart were some old cheapy Tasco's I bought when I first started shooting and price was important. Today I can afford any scope I want and I regularly choose the Bushnell Trophy's.

I did ruin one scope (knocked the reticule loose). It was mounted on a bolt action 50BMG conversion unit on an AR and it had slipped to where the bell was hitting the mount. It was a 50BMG specific scope and Millet replaced it free. I secured it this time with four rings (honed to perfect roundness with a tool I made and grinding compound), and glued the scope tube to the mounts. Slipping stopped. I will add that the repair station for Millet was Bushnell (does Bushnell now own Millet???).

LDBennett
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

VXI, II, Rifleman are all pretty low end in my opinion. I have a vxiii that is pretty low end for what it cost. I think for that amount of money, I should have gotten better glass.
    I love my Leupold bench rest scopes, other than them, I am no real fan of the gold ring. As far as their flagships go, Leupold can hang with anyone. Their low and mid stuff is, in my opinion, a poor value.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  11. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

How do you figure a leupold is low end ??
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that series aint what the average leo's are
    i've a few friends who say recoil kills em ,

i've not got one myself , i actually buy leo's second hand now

get a top line 5 year old one 1/2 the price of the new ones and better quality

sad what brands do eh ..
  13. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

It is my humble opinion that at VX6, Leupold becomes high end. Up to that point, they are just over priced for what you get.