Canada set to abolish national long-gun registry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShamarIke, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ShamarIke

ShamarIke New Member

Gun rights advocates have their sight fixed on Canada, reports BBC News. If the Conservative party has its way, the national long-gun registry will be something of the past. Long guns, which consist of rifles and shotguns, would re-quire background check and instruction, but not registration.

No more registry around

Currently, Canada's long-gun registry requires shotgun and rifle own-ers to register their weapons. The conservative party and Prime Minister Stephen Harper took over in 2006. He promised to get rid of the long-gun registry. The argument is that the vast majority of violent crime really involved handguns.

Currently, the majority is Canada’s Conservative party. That means there is a better chance that the long-gun registry will most likely be repealed. The Globe and Mail believe that the opposition will be very strong against it.

Standing up for rural growers

Conservative MP Candice Hoeppner said at a press conference that Harper supports the rights of law-abiding rural Canadian producers.

"The Harper government has stood on the side of law-abiding firearms owners, farmers, hunters and rural Canadians in every region of this country," Hoeppner said.

Statistics Canada reports that a registry has cost a lot of mon-ey. Over $2 billion has been spent on it by working class individuals. Con-sidering that of the 253 firearms used in Canada to commit murder between 2005 and 2009, nearly 70 percent were unregistered, the predominant opinion is that the registry has been ineffective at preventing gun crime.

The Globe and Mail ex-plained that rifles and shotguns are rare for murder. In 2009, only 24 percent of homicides used these weapons.

A huge threat

Abolishing Canada's long-gun registry will destroy all records kept on rifle and shotgun own-ers. To get a gun, peo-ple will still need criminal background checks and gun safety courses.

Long-gun registry laws will most likely be produced by individual provinces if the long-gun registry is eliminated by Harper, according to critic Francis Scarpaleggia who spoke with CTV. However, polls conducted by the Globe and Mail so far have indi-cated that no provincial government has curiosity in doing this.
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

can I move to Canada?
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My Canadian Friends laugh and tell me that before long, We Americans will have more gun control than they; ironic. I'm glad to see it happening just the same. None of my Canadian Friends ever turned in their military guns or mini-14s or pistols; they all ignored the law. Many have gotten special pistol permits that always have been available for rural people for bear protection; they get their 44 mag & 45 ACP ammo here in Alaska; have for many years.

Still, the taxes in Canada are way outta whack. Case of beer is 20 bucks in Ak, 40 bucks in Can. Canadians do some things better, like bringing their Indians into society and building roads, infrastructure, and parks. Wages & costs are way higher in Canada, result of higher taxes driving everything up and up; also resource development in Western Canada.

Here's an example: An up river buddy bought a diavari Zeiss scope, cost him $2400. I could buy the same scope for $1700 from Cabelas, $1500 if I get it at my local gun shop for a good price. Most everything is that way in Canada.
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I've spent about 3 years working in Canada, now I don't claim to be an expert, but for any of you who think that Canadian gun laws are or will be in the near future less restrictive than the US gunlaws, simply don't know what you are talking about.