1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Canada's long gun registration soon to be done away with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popgunner, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

News from Canada that after a little more red tape their long gun registration should be done away with. Records will be destroyed so that no local authority(Quebec) can re-start registration using old records. Handgun registration & laws will for now remain the same. Good news for those in the great white north:)
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

yes yes yes:dance::ya:
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Canadian friends keep telling me that now we will have more gun control in the USA than Canada; and eventually they maybe right.

Funny thing is that living on the border, having friends & relatives on both sides; people have been trading, selling, giving guns back and forth unregistered for as long as everybody can remember; especially in the rural areas where there is much more freedom. My Canadian friends have always had pistols & semi auto rifles; pretty easy to get permits to carry them too. They have this driver's license for buying new guns without any wait at their gun stores.

Big difference between Western & Eastern Canada I think. My Canadian friends buy as much as they can in the US to avoid their high taxes; but then the wages are also much higher in Canada too so it makes it all up. The border is quite open for the locals, but they enforce it pretty good for the tourists; many the locals avoid the highway checkpoints. I really believe the border is all about control & money and has nothing to do with terrorism. USA/Canadian border should be an open border anyway.
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've heard from friends it's tougher around Detroit, Niagra Falls and those places, basically DO NOT even try to take certain handguns across in your car there.

Read Canada's old laws, they are very specific!
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

mjp, true story. Back when we moved to Alaska from NW Pa in early 90s, I had two gun vaults and 10K of ammo to get across Canada. I called Niagra Falls and talked to Can customs guy and he told me I had to mail everything to Ak. Told me they were a pacifist country, didn't like guns. I called them a Commie Country and he hung up. So then I called out west, talked to a customs guy in Canada across from N.D. He told me that if I even mentioned guns, they would tear my trailer apart; and made it sound like they probably wouldn't even look if I said no guns.

So I crossed at 8 am on a monday morning and had guy at desk sign my paper. I said didn't have no guns and the further west I got, the better I felt. He walked outside, looked at my 30 foot trailer and didn't even open the door, said get outta here. I really think the guy figured I had guns in there but didn't even want to look. Lucky Deal for sure; wish I could have bought him a beer. When I got to Alaska border, I just drove on through and nobody gave me chase. How I got all my guns & 10K of ammo to Alaska.

I suppose I wouldn't even consider it today though.

Most places in rural areas, everybody just walks across the border, mostly woods anyway. We often travel by boat, and never bother checking into customs when in Canada and Canadian neighbors do the same. In fact, w have Canadians who use our Post Office to have food mailed in, they keep P.O. box in the USA as they are closer to an American Post Office than a Canadian Post Office.
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I believe that! (VERY SHORT VERSION) I have a friend and her boyfriend both legal CCW holders, recently got pulled over for unknown reasons, detained for hours, photographed, fingerprinted. They had no idea why.

They were told to take it up with the Homeland Security people if they questions.

We're still not done with the whole thing, I told her it "might" have been in error, whew!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I was stopped at a check point getting off a boat in western Canada. They found a CCW in my wallet. I was taken to a NWMP Post held and questioned by 2 Firearns Control Officers. They said only American criminals needed to carry firearms. They ask me how many arms I owned? I told them to go to hell. They informed me "Yanks" had no rights in Canada. They think America is a criminal culture. I ask to call the American Consul and they released me. I did not see any gun freedom in Canada. This is as near a Nazi State as you can get.:mad:
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Hate to see Canadian lowlifes but all kinds of good ones too. I have a bunch of Canadian friends and never have problems. Course we live in a rural area and there really is way more freedom.

Along the border, Americans & Canadians often are related, so people get together and hunt & fish; nobody is legal but everybody is quite open about it. I've had Canadian friends use my fish net to get salmon when they weren't allowed to fish in Canada. When they are neighbors & friends everything is low key, at least where we call home. Last several years, I've been sending over a thousand lb of yukon golds upriver to Indians and friends in Old Crow, Mayo, and Dawson. My son works summer breaks up in Dawson, luvs the place and I'd rather him there than in Fairbanks. The Canadians have always treated him quite well. But the best thing is they just luv hockey and I have center ice so when they are downriver we watch games together.

My Canadian Friends ignore most gun laws as do Americans.