Canadian gun serial numbers

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by doubleslover, Dec 5, 2010.

1. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

I know that the US gun act of 1968 required all firearms to have serial numbers. Does anyone know when serial numbers became required for Canadian firearms. I would have thought it would have been the same time but I have seen on different forums where people implied they bought guns in the 70's in Canada that have no serial number. I was under the impression that guns in Canada were required to have serial numbers before that.
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    All Canadian guns were supposed to be registered by 2003. If they didn't have a serial number then they were issued a FIN, Firearm Identification Number with their paperwork. Depending on the gun that number had to be put on the gun, the registrar should have been able to tell you whether that particular gun required one or not and where it should be put if it did. I know of no law requiring serial numbers on Canadian guns but new guns now have them so its a moot point and grandfathered guns don't need them as long as they have a FIN.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Just to clarify, the US federal law requires that all NEW guns made in the US or imported must have serial numbers, but older guns without serial numbers can be bought and sold with no restrictions. If the gun is bought or sold by a dealer, he just enters "Pre-1968, no SN" in his records. In some US jurisdictions that require registration (e.g., New York), the police will assign a serial number which must be put on by stamping or an electric pencil. Some valuable collectors pieces have been damaged because police refused to accept that they were antiques and hammered a number into them.

Jim
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Just to clairify... Pre-68 guns without serial numbers are legal as long as they never had a serial number. One with a removed serial is a no-no.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Yes, I am familiar with the Canadian gun registration process and the identification numbers they issue if the gun doesn't have a serial number. Most of the guns that don't have the serial numbers are older guns before 1968. Why I was wondering if there was a set date that serial numbers began in Canada is because like the US, I often hear someone trying to date a gun here and they will say "well it must have been before 1968 as it doesn't have a serial number." Next time I will hear someone say "I bought it new in the 70's and it doesn't have a serial number." So I was just trying to determine if there was a timeline that Canada required serial numbers. Nowadays, I know that all guns have serial numbers. I tried to google for info but I couldn't find an answer. But I guess if Canada didn't require serial numbers by a set date, that's why I couldn't find it. I just thought Canada would have been like the US in requiring all guns be serial numbered.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Member

Hi, All firearms in Canada that had a barrel shorter than 16 inches had to have a serial no. starting in 1924. in order to be legal.
    As for long guns the rifle or shotgun had to have a serial no. by 1968.

Please note I said legal. A lot of firearms did come into Canada without serial no.s during the 1960s and just passed through the system due to our VERY liberal laws at the time. Today anything that goes bang , even BB guns must have a serial no. This will soon apply to crossbows.

F***** liberals.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

I had a suspicion that we would have followed the US.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Member

Yea sadly its true. Seems no matter what the US proves to be a falure,our government thinks that it can make a few changes and Canadian politicians can prove the US wrong.

After all, we were told by a Cal. govener that the Brady Bill didn't work. So what did we do? Modifyed the **** out of it to prove they were wrong and look at the mess it's caused.

All I can say is F***** Liberals.

PS. you may have noticed I don't like the Liberals
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. The_Guv

The_Guv New Member

Who DOES like liberals? Certainly not me ....... as a resident of Ontario, I've learned to dislike Liberals heavily