Canadian Immigrant trying to buy a gun

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by TheSnowman, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheSnowman

TheSnowman New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I'm a Canadian immigrant I'm in my last year of permanent residency before I can apply for my citizenship. I've been looking into gun laws, obviously because I want to get a gun. The only issue I'm having is I can't find anything that applies to non citizen immigrants, only non-immigrants. I'm not here on a hunting trip I live here and I plan on staying here. I just need help figuring out how I can get licensed to own a firearm, but all I seem to come up with are law pertaining to non-immigrant Canadian citizens. Can someone please help clarify this for me?

2. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Bullhead City, AZ
    As a permanent resident, you have the right to purchase and possess a firearm. Under federal law, you must provide a dealer with proof of your resident status, and show that you have been a resident of the state for at least 90 days. If your state requires a longer period to be considered a resident, I think that the longer period applies. Details are in the ATF Newsletter found here:
    https://www.atf.gov/file/56441/download

Good luck, and Welcome!:)

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Go into your local gun shop and buy a gun! If you are turned down, they will probably explain why. You have the same gun purchasing privileges that US citizens do. I see by your IP address that you live in Delaware and from what I found, Delaware citizens do not need a license to purchase a gun, just to carry one concealed.

4. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Bullhead City, AZ
    Nope. We can inform the customer that the purchase was denied, but we aren't informed of the reason. We give the customer the NICS-assigned number of the request, and the phone number to call for more information. The Bureau considers that information private, for the customer's ears only. :)

m77user, Conman, joe45c and 3 others like this.
  5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Than
    Thank you good sir.