Caneman

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks again for running those numbers thru quickload for me. I did a little load development this morning and we have a winner for the .44 mag levergun.

24.5 gr Lil Gun makes 1768 fps avg with a 240 gr XTP from the 20" 38 twist microgroove barrel, its more than fast enough to stabilize the 240s and it is proven on paper at 100 yds. I shot a 2 MOA 10 shot string after load development, including the 2 called flyers upper right of the group. on shot 7 I took the shot with the front bag resting in the center of the forestock instead of the back at the reciever like I had for the first 6, then when shot 8 and 9 went right back to the rest of the cluster, I did shot 10 with the bag in the center again and the bullet flew out of the group and hit with the other flyer. Just a sample of the bedding inconsistencies of a 2 piece stock I suppose.. ;)

Oughtta make a good deer and hog gun for the woods.

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know I F' ed up labeling the target, its a marlin 1894, not an 1895. :)
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It must be nice to have nuttin better to do than play with guns and reload ammo all day.

Nice job Josh.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is a welcome change from the late nights at work all week. ;)
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

JLA, that's great!

QL was about 100 fps off from your chrony, but what QL is best at is finding a powder that will work well with your bullet and rifle, and it confirmed exactly what you thought... QL will give you a list of low pressure powders that are efficient and fill up the case for a given velocity, then it is your job to find the right load, and you did...
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

hey, my dad has that exact gun... we took it out on Turkey Day and shot some paper, luv that gun!!! I was surprised how little recoil it had for .44 mag since i was used to shooting the revolver...

we really like that open sight, not sure what it is called but we were calling it a canopy sight, what is it really called?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Wide scan hood.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also had figured the powder would shoot best at max pressure. I have used Lil gun in lots of other applications and it excelled at MAX in all of them so that was no surpise to me either. The loads are exhibiting no pressure signs, cases arent bulged excessively, primers arent flattened excessively, there is a bit of cratering but I believe it to be due to the generous firing pin hole in the bolt face and the fact that the firing pin itself isnt quite as large as its hole. extraction is effortless. Now I have to finish plinking off the rest of the last batch of middle of the road target loads i made up so i can reclaim my brass for the good loads.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Is Lil Gun that much different than H110? is Lil Gun a ball powder?

QL shows that it is slightly faster, this is what is lists in terms of speed (higher the number the faster the powder):

Blue Dot 1.5400
    No. 9 1.3429
    N105 1.2300
    2400 1.1471
    Enforcer 1.0510
    N110 1.0200
    Lil Gun 0.8550
    H110 0.8000
    W296 0.7300
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Slightly faster than H110, it and H110 are listed side by side on the burn rate chart. In largebore magnum hangun cartridges i find Lil Gun will develop more velocity at a lower pressure than H110. And its almost always the cleaner burning powder.

Lil Gun is a spherical powder, Not as fine as H110, comparable to HP38 granule size.