1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Canning Experts, Help.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by steve4102, Nov 13, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I just stuffed and smoked 50 lbs of Venison sausage. As always, I ended up with some ground sausage meat left in the bottom of my suffer. I usually just make patties out of this then grill it or fry it.

I also have the pressure caner going as I am canning Venison stew as well. So, I got to thinkin, why not stuff this left over meat into wide mouth jars and pressure can it? Might turn out like canned spam?

I did a search for canning ground meat and most of it calls for boiling or frying the meat first. Why? Is it not safe to Pressure can raw round meat? Tons of recipes for canning raw cubed or died meat.

What about this ground meat mixed with potatoes then canned, kinda like hash?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think it would be just fine. I'll run it by my Sis up in Alaska when I talk to her tomorrow. She has 9 kids and cans most everything they eat in the winter. She cans literally tons of food each year.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The reason you cook it first is really simple. The canning process cooks the meat. Ground meat tastes better if it is browned.

Suppose you were making chili or spaghetti. Would you put raw hamburger in it, or brown it first? Putting raw burger in there would be safe. It's going to sit in the hot liquid and cook. But it will not have the right flavor.

So, if you put raw ground meat in a jar and pressure can it, it's like boiling it. It's cooked, but the flavor is wrong.

I can hamburger, but I brown it first.
  5. zachp

zachp New Member

My gf and her mother have been canning hamburger for the last year. They do not cook it first, just throw it in the jar and can it. It makes hamburger helper twice as fast to cook. Drain the liquid, dump in pan, cook with everything else. Has not killed me yet.