Canning questions.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by ckill1, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I have a question for all you canning folk...my wife & I put up tomatoes all summer for chili, spaghetti sauce, and salsa during the rest of the year. When I make salsa from this, I put the canned maters, garlic, an assortment of peppers, cilantro, and lime juice/pulp. Now my first question is this...how can I go about canning the salsa I just made? I would like to make large batches and can all of it, to eat throughout the year. Dont really want to boil the salsa, as I feel it would make it mushy! Any suggestions?

Second Question...anyone have a simple recipe for canning cinnamon apples? Like you would use in a pie?

thanks,

Chris
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Chris

I know that the way I have been doing it is not the best way... I would recommend that you use the water bath method at a minimum, but I cook my salsa, then spoon it into the jars, clean the rim and slap a lid on them... As they cool the lids pull down and I call it done... The HUGE difference is that salsa does not last long around me, at the moment I have a pot of cheese dip on the stove with 1/2 of my green chili salsa in it... I go through this stuff like water and could certainly never put up a years worth. I may freeze a lot of tomatoes, peppers, etc but once it's made into salsa, forget it, it's gone. :D

Hey check this link out. http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canning_tomatoes.htm

Crpdeth
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    +1 (I gotta get down to Texas someday, but not in the summer:D)
  4. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

All I know is you have to watch out for botulism. It can kill you.

I would recommend picking up a canning book by Kerr or Ball.
  5. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

You need to make the salsa when you first put up the tomatoes. Instead of canning tomatoes, can salsa with all of your ingredients already in it. This can be the base for many items, like spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce.......

You absolutely, positively must process the salsa in a water bath. Get a good canning book or go pre-pay your funeral arrangements.

Ball is a good book to get, but you can also contact your local extension office. They would LOVE to give you all kinds of info. You can also look up Utah's site on line. They have lots of information on canning and it is constantly being updated. Make sure that you add vinegar to your salsa if you can it. You will increase the acid to prevent the growth of botulism. The newer tomato strains do not have the acid of older ones and you must compensate for the non acid ingredients that you are adding (i.e. peppers, onions etc).
  6. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Thats a good point on the tomatoes acidity,
    hadent'a thought about the lower levels
    in the newer variety's, Russian Blacks and
    Purple Cherokee's is all i grow anymore.