Cannon balls or shotputs?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/30/02 7:14:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Cannon balls or shotputs?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My job is as an environmental consultant. The company I work for has a contract for the new airport runway expansion for the St. Louis airport - many houses and commercial buildings are going to be demolished during this development. We are going to the buildings after they have been vacated and surveying them for asbestos-containing building materials. One house I was at yesterday had been formerly occupied by someone who was a firearms owner - I found a couple of old targets and some 32ACP cartirdges in the basement.

As I was kicking around in the trash in the basement (pretty messy place) I stubbed my toe on two round iron objects. One of them (the smaller) has a slightly impressed area the size of a dime on one side with a raised "8" in the depression. The larger one has a deeply etched "12" on it. Not being up on early cannon ordnance, is it possible these are cannon balls? Or are they someones shotputs? I haven't weighed them yet, but they feel like they are heavier then 8 or 12 pounds, respectively. Anyway, I got two new round masses of iron sitting at home in the living room. The dog is trying to figure out what they are - they don't roll as easy as her other balls!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/30/02 8:07:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cannon balls or shotputs?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If they're made out of iron, maybe they're Spanish bowling balls.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/30/02 9:43:29 am)
    Xracer, ROFLAMO!
    cointoss2

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/30/02 4:57:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Cannon balls or shotputs?

TFF VMBB Email Tac

chad
    (4/30/02 9:28:21 pm)
    My grandfather caught a few cannon balls while shrimping, were about the size of a large grapefruit. You might have found something worth hanging on to. This link might help. www.iglou.com/btreasure/artillry.htm

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/30/02 9:33:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    East German breast implants???!!!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/30/02 9:50:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    XRACER IS A GOD:0

I'm a man of means by no means

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/1/02 6:58:20 am)
    Thanks Chad. Nice site to compare pictures - I do believe I have an 8 lb and a 12 lb solid shot here.

As to the rest of youse guys -----

PPPPBBBBBBBLLLLLTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 10:05:19 am)
    make sure they're solid Bob, there's still old Civil War ordance that's live

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/1/02 3:20:10 pm)
    These appear to be solid shot. I have found no indication of a fuse port or fill plug - uniform smooth surface other than the numbers.

Ah-hem (now I set myself up) Can anybody tell me the best way to clean my balls?

One of them does have some red paint splashed on it.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/1/02 3:54:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The same way dogs clean'em!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

chad
    (5/1/02 7:50:18 pm)
    Congratulations on a great find. Be careful Fredneck made a good point. My father used my grandfather's cannon ball as a shotput before he was told that it could still be live. The ball a friend of mine found has a raised spot about the size of a button on it we think that that is the fuse. I found this on preservation of relics. Hope that it helps. www.timecapsuleinc.com/preservation.htm

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/1/02 8:42:40 pm)
    Thanks again Chad. You do seem to have a wealth of info.

TAC -

slurp, slurp, lick, slurp - hhhmm - dog p@cker gnats. Oh well; slurp, slurp, lick ----

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/1/02 9:39:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Gunnerguy
    (5/10/02 12:43:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Sorry, but they're NOT Cannonballs
    Hi Bob,

I'm sorry to tell you but what you have is without any doubt not a pair of cannonballs. IF they didn't have the numbers engraved or embossed on them, you might have something, but you'd have to x-ray them to make sure that there's no charge that's dangerous.

What you've got is a pulverizing ball that's made of cast iron, they were used in the cement business or anywhere that had a raw ore and it needed to be powdered for use in concrete, wallboard or other dozens of uses.

The numbers are the big giveaway, they designate the weight of the balls so they could be matched to what was being crushed. The raw ore would be put into a huge tumbler, then depending on the material, how fine it was to be crushed and the amount in the drum, the operator would pick the correct weight balls and toss them in. The machine would run on a timer, at which time the bin would be emptied, the balls removed & washed, then put on drying racks until they were needed for the next load.

It's a very common mistake and if you're still not sure, have them x-rayed for proof positive. The vast majority of solid grapeshot were fairly small compared to a cannonball and most of the cannonballs had an internal charge.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but at least you've got some cool shot puts.

Ray
    When asked what's infinite, Albert Einstein responded, "There are 2 things that are infinite, the Universe & Man's stupidity..........and I'm not so sure about the Universe.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/10/02 12:55:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sorry, but they're NOT Cannonballs
    Darn. Maybe I can have them made into a set of ear rings for Julie Andrews the next time we go cavorting in the hills shooting our Astras and looking for the Mothership.

Pulverizing balls. Sounds like something on a pro wrestler.

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/10/02 1:00:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Sorry, but they're NOT Cannonballs
    I just don't choose to "Testilicate" on this circular unknown.

Whack em tagether....see if they yell!
    OH WELL....fergit it.

Charlie D
    Maybe ya gotta set of
    Brass Balls on hand....

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/10/02 4:25:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sorry, but they're NOT Cannonballs
    Tho't you're supposed to hit'em between two bricks, to see how much water they suck up!

(Sorry, old camel jockey joke!)

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/10/02 8:02:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Sorry, but they're NOT Cannonballs
    Give'm to Rosie O'Pigwart, maybe she can er nevermind!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac