Cannot Find 1911 .45 C&R Pistols!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Silencer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I want to find a 1911 .45 C&R pistol. I cannot find one doing Google searches. Are these guns impossible to find? They're coming to me here in SoCal, so I need to find a dealer willing to do business with me. I noticed some dealer wont ship to SoCal! :eek:

I've tried goin to over two dozen online stores and not one of them has a single 1911. I'll take what ever I can get, but prefer US made stuff.
  2. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I've done business here at the site. http://auctionarms.com/nonjavahome.htm
    You can find an FFL dealer near you, too. C&R stuff should be no problem here in SoCal, however 1911s are pricey and going up. Good Luck. TJ
  3. Silencer

Thanks for the link. But I'm not looking for auction sites. I want to purchase from and established online army surplus store, or firearm wholesaler.

What prices should I expect for a US made .45 that's a C&R? I'm looking for something cheap to shoot and not for collectible purposes. If that cancels out American made 1911 C&R pistols, so be it.
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

5. Silencer

Thanks for the link but that website is not working for me. It must not be IE8 compatible, or something. Nothing I click on works.

I guess I'm limited to foreign curio and relic .45 autos. I'll do a search for those to see what my options are, unless anybody reading this can offer me an idea.

Thanks for the help, fellas. :)
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

C&R 1911 are few and far between. If they do have them they go really fast. Surplusrifle forum has guys selling C&R 1911 every now and then but you need to act fast b/c they also go fast. Its been around 5 months since I've seen one for sale. It was a Star BM 1911 clone but it had a feed problem. It still was in the 500.00 range.
    I just pick up about a month ago a Ithaca 1911A1 that maybe had 5 shots through it. I paid 1000.00 for it and ran. Saw another one at a show in much worse shape for 1500. There a hot item and most people are holding on to them.
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Really doubt you'll find a US Property 1911 at Army/Navy surplus. Gun show, gun shop, private sale, they are expensive and you may have to settle for a clone. Good luck. TJ
  8. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

I've been collecting them for many years and they are far and few between. Since the internet came about lots of guys "just want one of those old .45s" They usually don't know an all original from a piece of foreign junk and pay some horrendous price for a $400 shooter. I had a 1943 Colt I paid $695 for long years ago and gave it away for $1500 to a fellow collector in our club that "just wanted one" but didn't even have any books, rather than see him get stuck with a non original.

An all original Colt will set you back a couple of grand, and you might still get stuck with a Bubba's garage special.

The last two US&S I saw on auction that were nice guns went for $6450 and $7049. Of course only 55,000 were made in 1943.

There aren't any foreign 1911s. Only Colt.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I think he's looking for 1911 style that C&R quilifies, so foreign made are out. But only Colt made 1911's ? What about Ithaca, Remington-Rand, Union Switch and Signal?
  10. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Those are 1911A1 WWII guns. Look in ActionArms.com auction as they have several 1911 and 1911A1 guns for sale.

Here's a 1944 Ithaca I'd let hin have for $1400 plus shipping. I've got three Ithaca so I'd sell one.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      138.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      124.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

ah ha, good point. Forgot about the A1 prefix. Nice Ithaca a co-worker of mine found one untouched in his fathers closet when they were going through his things after he died. not a wear mark on it and looked brand new. He wanted to have it blued instead of the parkerized finish, I about smacked him. I told him the same ,that it was worth in the 1400 to 1500 range so leave it alone.
  12. jjk308

jjk308 New Member

You might try a Ballister Molina. I bought a number of them, fixed them up, parkerized. Got new US GI magazines. I still have 2 and enjoy shooting them. Just like a 1911A1 except they aren't fussy about ammunition and have a built in beavertail.
    They have a 1911 barrel, spring, bushing, link, magazine and the rest looks like an Argentine copy of the 1911A1 but is not interchangeable. No grip safety, and a Star type trigger.
    [​IMG]
  13. oldobie

oldobie New Member

Best deal going....Argentine Sistema Model 1927 Most are C&R and most of the time COLT parts will fit with a little "touch".

I really like them and they are still available at a reasonable price you just have to keep looking.

I just purchased 2 at a very very reasonable price. I plan to turn them into "shooters" soon.

Do a search on the auction sites (where I found my last 2). Just type in Argentine or Sistema or Argentine 45acp. and see what pops up.

Good luck in your search.
    [​IMG]
  14. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Great thread - thanks for the info guys